Heliocol installation questions (DIY)

Yeah, I was surprised to have to spend around $400 for all the parts I was missing that I did not know about. Still the 10 panel setup was 1/4 the price of new and installed.

Called Solar Discounters. The woman I spoke with was very helpful, and it sounds like I have all the clamps I need. And I'm just realizing I forgot to ask about the clips for tightening the clamps down. I have a bunch of them (enough, at least), but they're a little loose on the empty clamps. I suppose they tighten up a bit when there's panel ends and a gasket inside?

They also mentioned that the z-bar/mounting sleds should be fine, but that they don't carry them. I'm still hopeful that the z-bar flashing home depot sells will work. I need to measure the pieces of z-bar I got with the panels when I get home tonight and see how HD's stuff compares.

Oh, also, this is my house (north is up in the screencap). I know east-facing is the least ideal (not counting North-facing, which is apparently a "just don't do it" in the northern hemisphere), but we'd really rather have it on the back of the house than the front, and the front *does* get some afternoon shade from the northernmost tree. Does putting it on the East-facing roof really take away that much heat compared to west-facing? I'm in Northern California, so I think we'll probably get a pretty decent amount of sun, either way.

/edit: Because someone else searching might find this thread and need it, I found a permit application that had pages from Heliocol's old installation manual. I trimmed out the two relevant pages and attached the PDF to this post.

Attachments

• Heliocol Installation ZBar Sleds.pdf
    86.5 KB · Views: 9
You are pretty much straight North-South huh ... I would think being on the East or West side would give the same amount of sun exposure to the panels. I think the advantage of the West side is that the air is warmer when you get most of the sun so you would lose less heat to the air.

Either will work, East will just be a little less efficient.

- - - Updated - - -

That PDF talks about C clamps and U clamps. I think U clamps are what would allow the vertical expansion and contraction.

Yes, forgot to mention it, but a solar controller will help a LOT to get the most heat into your pool. We didn't have one the first year and the difference after adding it was substantial. We lost a lot of heat to rain, shade, wind on the panels.
Does a solar controller allow for more control over using my automation? I just had some heliocols installed but thought my omnilogic and a solar controller would be redundant.

Does a solar controller allow for more control over using my automation? I just had some heliocols installed but thought my omnilogic and a solar controller would be redundant.

The Omni has a solar controller built in it ... meaning it has the temp sensors (you might need to add a 3rd for the solar if you do not have it) and can control the solar actuator.

If you had the panels installed by a solar company, I would assume they also setup the Omni to control it.

If you have further questions, please start your own thread.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Okay, so, I think I've got the panel installation figured out. Ordering the parts I need from solar discounters.

Now I'm looking at controllers. It doesn't look like there's a Jandy-specific solution that would make sense, cost-wise (I don't see a way to get into iAqualink for anything south of like, $600). The recommendation on this thread seemed to be the Pentair solutions. I'm looking at the suntouch, as it *sounds* like it will be able to both handle my solar *and* automate turning on/off our water feature (which would be nice, but is definitely not required). Is that correct? I'm a little confused by the Suntouch's "solar mode" and "pool/spa mode". The names sound like you can't do solar in pool/spa mode, and can't control other stuff in solar mode.

I'm open to any other recommendations here. My pump has terminals for triggering each of its speeds via external switches, so I *think* it should work with just about any solar controller I get. Maybe. I could be misunderstanding how that all works.

Yes, the language in pool automation manuals can be confusing. That is partly why I ended up just vetting the Solartouch. It took an amount of reading and hands on experimentation to get everything set on my Solartouch. Do you have a spa attached to your pool? There is a Suntouch version for single body solar controller only.

No spa at the moment. *I'd* like one some day (my wife is indifferent), but who knows when that will be. :)

I'll do some more reading on the Suntouch vs Solartouch.

(Side note: I see you mentioned installing a heat pump. Is there any reason to do a heat pump *and* solar?)

A hot tub makes winter a whole lot better for me. But, I recommend getting a stand alone tub for $3-4k. They are more efficient, more comfortable and you can put it under a roof somewhere and sit in it when it rains!

My reason for having solar and adding a heat pump is because my solar panels don't heat up the pool enough sometimes. And I can't install anymore solar panels for a number of reasons. The roof with solar now is full, too many trees elsewhere (which is why the pool needs heat), the house is too far away and more. So, we bought a small heat pump that I will install in April to get a little more heat into the pool when we need it. Solar will do 80ish% of the work for free and the heat pump will cover the rest. That is my plan anyway, we'll see how well it turns out! :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.