Heavy Duty Mechanical Seal for Saltwater Pump?

dmcody

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 9, 2008
Pittsburgh, PA
I have a 1.5 hp Pentair Challenger Pump Model #CFII-N1.5F/342231 for my salt water pool. The pump has a small leak towards the rear of the pump and I can’t really tell if it is the mechanical seal or just the housing O-ring. I decided to replace them both and purchased a GOKIT5. As I was tearing apart the pump, I realized that the Housing O-Ring in the kit is not a match for the pump. The existing O-ring is a square formed O-ring, and the kit has a round formed O-ring. I chatted with an internet pool supply house and they told me that I need the GOKIT5SALT since it’s a salt water pool. The “Salt” kit has a better mechanical seal designed for Salt water pools. However, the kit still has the wrong O-ring in it. They told me to purchase the GOKIT73 to replace the seals, but I would still have to purchase the separate Heavy Duty mechanical seal for another $20.

My question is, the Pentair replacement parts list does not differentiate between the regular mechanical seal and a saltwater mechanical seal. Do I need to purchase a heavy-duty mechanical seal for a salt water pool?

Also, would the rest of the o-rings and mechanical seal in the GoKit5 work with my pump? If so, I could just by the specific O-ring for the front housing.

Thanks

I called Pentair. They only have one recommended mechanical seal for my pump and are not aware of a "salt water" mechanical seal for pools. They did indicate that if this were a sea water aquarium or other application with a high salt concentration, they would recommend a different pump.

Anybody know if the Mech Seal in the GOKIT5 Aladdin Tune Up Kit Pentair Challenger Pump (CHII Series) - GOKIT5 - INYOPools.com works for the CFII pump? The part number on the kit is 1-AS-200 Seal.

Thanks JamesW this has been very helpful. Looks like the seal I received in the kit is the general purpose AS-200. Going to my local pool store to get the housing O-ring, I'll see if they have the PS-3867 or the PS-1901. If not, i may just use the one i have recognizing that I'll be back in a couple years to replace it again.

THe last link in the "Further Reading" you provided does not work - https://www.troublefreepool.com/threads/seal-installation-lubrication.87750/post-751864. It says I do not have permission to view the page. If i can get the P-80 or US Sealube, do you just put it on lightly around the perimeter? I thought the mechanical seal needed to be as clean as possible. Have you ever used the vegetable oil/dish soap in case i can't get the others?

If you can't get seal lube, dish soap will work. Use dawn or something without lotion.

This video shows vegetable oil at 3:30. I suppose that it will work ok.

Last edited:
I decided not to go through the effort of changing the mech. seal since i didn't have the correct one and fortunately changing the Housing O-ring fixed the leak. I plan on ordering the PS-3867 and either have it ready for when the original seal begins to leak, or change it out this winter. Thanks for the help.

Reactions: JamesW
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.