Heavily stained fg pool with red/rust scale? (pics attached)

Re: Heavily stained fg pool with red/rust scale? (pics attac

Today the pool has turned that cloudy white/opaque color. My pump gauge does not lead me to believe that the cartridges need cleaning. I did clean them very well just a few days ago.

I read that it is normal for this to happen while doing the AA treatment. I still have signifigant stains. I suppose I need to get more of the AA, algaecide, and sequestrant tomorrow.

How do you know when you have put enough in and it just isn't going to get better?

Attachments

• IMG03297-20130609-1513.jpg
    IMG03297-20130609-1513.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 66

Today, the pool is turning green. I got more polyquat 60 algaecide, Sequa-sol, and I got 2# United Chemical Pool Stain Treat. I am not sure how to proceed. Do I raise the chlorine slowly and deal with the algae? Do I put in more algaecide, sequestrant and AA? I literally do not know what to do, and I don't want to waste product, time, and money.

Can someone advise?

As a newbie I think you are reacting to quickly....

Let's get the water perfectly clear and balanced for a few days using BBB - THEN and ONLY then can more "stuff" be added to help out.

I think you should post a new set of tests and then more determination can be made...

I actually did finally get it clear and balanced. These new issues are post AA treatment, but the stains aren't gone. I'll retest when I get back. I sincerely hope that I don't need to get everything balanced again and start over!

Just tested the water. I was surprised the pH was actually higher than when I started. I did notice in the sample that there were floaties suspended.

FC 0
pH 7.5
TA 210

Any advice would be appreciated!

So once again, I am by all means not the pro that others are...but your FC is WAY LOW and what is your CYA ? Surely others will chime in...but I dare say your pool is not quite balanced yet. Sorry...

I thought my FC was supposed to be 0 to do the ascorbic acid treatment. I didn't even bother to check the cya because my FC has been 0 for days so I could do the ascorbic acid treatment.

My pool was most definitely clear and balanced before I started the treatment. Then I allowed the chlorine to bottom out and dropped the pH as per the instructions I read in Pool School.

Thank you, for responding Butterfly! I did finish the shock process. I am not sure what the water temp is. My thermometer broke years ago. I would guess around 75.

smhill said:
Thank you, for responding Butterfly! I did finish the shock process. I am not sure what the water temp is. My thermometer broke years ago. I would guess around 75.
How much AA did you add? If you do not see any stain removal by now and the pool is getting cloudy green w/algae, you may have to start adding chlorine and try the AA treatment later.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

I put in a total of 3.5 pounds of Stain Free which is citric acid, one bottle of polyquat 60, and one bottle of Sequa-sol for sequestrant. The pool is now cloudy and taking on a green tinge. I was hoping that I was just on the cusp of making this work, so today I purchased another bottle of polyquat 60, another bottle of sequa sol, and two pounds of ascorbic (not citric this time) acid. I haven't added any of that yet. I was waiting for some guidance here.

What do you recommend?

btw, with Polyquat 60 and the AA treatment, make sure you have at least the min dose for your pool size and more is better.

Example: if one bottle treats 10K, you should use at least 2.

It's quite common for the pool to cloud up after the AA treatment. Also, you're not using one of the recommended sequestrants. You need to find one based on phosphonic acid or a derivative thereof. There's a list of the ones we recommend in Pool School.

You need to slow down a bit and let us know what you're doing each step so we can keep up and help you. Since you overshot the TA so much, the pH will naturally rise and you can adjust it back down to 7.2 whenever it gets to about 7.8.

When you say the pool has a green tinge to it, do you mean the water is green tinted? If os it's probably the metals and not algae. You said you put Polyquat 60 in it, so if you put the recommended amount you should be fine.

Post what the problem is today and a timeline of everything you've done up to now. so I can catch up. :)

Butterfly said:
btw, with Polyquat 60 and the AA treatment, make sure you have at least the min dose for your pool size and more is better.

Example: if one bottle treats 10K, you should use at least 2.

I did go heavy on the polyquat because I had read that suggestion.

Butterfly said:
Well, if you think you might be on the cusp, add the Polyquat 60 and then use the AA.

Wait until you see the stain lifts before adding sequestrant.

Do you mean when all the stain lifts globally (the whole pool?) or I just see the stain start lifting here and there? I waited on the sequestrant until after the second 1.75# where I saw the stain come off in the areas that I concentrated on by putting in about 8 oz slowly in one spot.

Bama Rambler said:
It's quite common for the pool to cloud up after the AA treatment. Also, you're not using one of the recommended sequestrants. You need to find one based on phosphonic acid or a derivative thereof. There's a list of the ones we recommend in Pool School.

You need to slow down a bit and let us know what you're doing each step so we can keep up and help you. Since you overshot the TA so much, the pH will naturally rise and you can adjust it back down to 7.2 whenever it gets to about 7.8.

When you say the pool has a green tinge to it, do you mean the water is green tinted? If os it's probably the metals and not algae. You said you put Polyquat 60 in it, so if you put the recommended amount you should be fine.

Post what the problem is today and a timeline of everything you've done up to now. so I can catch up. :)

Thank you so much for taking a look at this! The following timeline is post shock process and passing the overnight FC loss test. The pool was clear and balanced before I began the AA treatment.
Here is the timeline for the AA treatment:

June 1 or 2 I had a clear and balanced pool but it still had massive staining everywhere.
I started to allow the chlorine to drop-which didn't take long because we had quite a bit of rain.

June 7 my tf-100 arrived. I brushed and vac'd to waste and got the pool a lot cleaner. I cleaned the cartridges, reassembled everything and replaced the lost water. Then I tested. Here were my results:

FC 0
pH 7.8
TA 210

I used the pool calculator to determine how much muriatic acid to add to lower the pH. I put in the exact amount prescribed, but the pH dropped to 6.8. Then I had to raise the pH using borax. Once I got it back to 7.2, I started the AA treatment. I put in 32 oz of a polyquat 60 algaecide. Then I put in stain free going around the pool slowly (expecting the magic stain lift) and nothing happened. I brushed and brushed. Thirty minutes later when I saw no change, I added another bottle of stain free (3.5# total). I did see a wee bit of change but only in the place where I stopped and poured about 8 oz of acid in one spot. Then I brushed again hoping that the stain free would spread through the pool and and lift the stains. I added 32 oz of Sequa sol to capture the metals.

I had read in this thread: major-iron-stains-need-any-advice-you-can-give-t20475.html?hilit=sequa%20sol that sequa-sol was one of the three recommended. My local store did not have Jack's so I got the sequa sol. I guessed I messed up on that one.

June 8 The pool was cloudy-which I wasn't surprised by because I read that was pretty normal when doing the AA treatment.

June 9 The pool had become very cloudy. The water turned a whiteish/opaque color. My pressure did not raise, so I didn't clean the cartridges. I had cleaned them very well just a few days earlier.

June 10 The pool water was taking on a green tinge. I got more polyquat 60, sequa-sol, and got 2# of ascorbic acid (instead of the citric acid). The water tested at:

FC 0
pH 7.5
TA 210

There were suspended particles in the sample I took. I didn't know if that was a good thing or not. The ozonator has been running all this time. Also, I have not turned the pump off, so it has been on 24 hours a day since I began the treatment on June 7.

June 11 The pool is greener and still cloudy. I have attached a picture from this morning below. I am hoping that I don't need to raise the chlorine and start over because I don't want what little lifting I have had to re-attach. I don't know what to do.

What do you guys recommend I do?

Attachments

• IMG03309-20130611-1053.jpg
    IMG03309-20130611-1053.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 22

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.