Heater Scheduling & Efficiency

afyfe

Jun 2, 2021
Las Vegas, NV
I have searched the forums and googled until I am blue in the face, but I am not coming up with an answer to the question floating around in my head. I'd love to hear some opinions, anecdotal advice, or heck, even some facts. ;)

Our pool was finished in August 2021, and until now, we have only ever heated the pool for short-term events (guests, pool parties, etc). There is a high chance we will be moving in the near future, and I want to take advantage of the pool for as many days as possible until then. We live in Vegas, and current temps are roughly mid 60's to upper 80's, and I'd like to have the pool around 82-84 during the day when we swim.

Is it better to set my pump schedule to run 24/7 so the heater can cycle on and off overnight, or just set my pump to kick on a few extra hours earlier in the morning to heat the pool for the day? No pool cover, but I could buy some of the liquid solar cover additives if it actually helps and isn't just a marketing gimmick.

While I don't want to go bankrupt, I do want to get a longer enjoyment out of the pool.

Is it better to set my pump schedule to run 24/7 so the heater can cycle on and off overnight, or just set my pump to kick on a few extra hours earlier in the morning to heat the pool for the day? No pool cover, but I could buy some of the liquid solar cover additives if it actually helps and isn't just a marketing gimmick.
I'd run it 24/7. Easier to maintain than constantly cycle daily. Your biggest enemy is evaporation...that is what causes all the heat loss. Solar bubble cover would really help. Liquid Solar covers don't work if you have any kind of wind...gimmick.

Reactions: afyfe
Heating on demand is the most efficient for a gas heater.

You are just wasting BTUs and gas heating the water on cold nights when you can get the pool up to swimming temperature in the morning.

For maximum efficiency and least cost turn off the heater when you are done swimming and turn it on a few hours before you plan to swim.

A 400K heater should heat your 13K pool over 2 degrees an hour.

Agree with Allen. I have a 400k btu heater with 21k gallons and get about 2 degrees per hour. If we are going to swim I just turn on the heat in the AM and it gets to temp by swim time mid day. Your heater is large enough to heat on demand so go that route.

My heater has 2 set points a low and a high. I set my low for 82ish and high for 90ish when I swim. I'll shut it totally off if I know there will be 4-5 days or so between swimming. It costs me more but much quicker recovery time. I don't like to swim in ice-water like you do though! ;)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.