Heater not igniting

Laineyp

Sep 2, 2023
Marietta, GA
Good Evening!! I am at my whits end right now and I don't know where to turn. We got a new Jandy heater installed 2 months ago after our original heater took a Crud. Anyway we have only had our pool for 2 years so you can only imagine my frustration.

Here is the issue... when the heater turns on you hear it ignite then it shuts off. My pool guy replaced the ignator rod but then the Jandy tech said we didn't have enough gas pressure going to the heater which makes zero sense since it worked fine for the last 2 years. Anyway we called the gas company and they installed a 2lb gas meter and we had a plumber install a regulator as directed by the Jandy Tech and we still have the same issue. Now of course Jandy is saying there is a problem with the gas line but the gas company took their measurement called the water colum and it was fine. I don't know who to be angry with at this point.

Have any of you had this issue where the heater starts then stops? Eveything was working fine gas wise for over 2 years so how can this have been a problem all along? I am lost.

Good Evening!! I am at my whits end right now and I don't know where to turn. We got a new Jandy heater installed 2 months ago after our original heater took a Crud. Anyway we have only had our pool for 2 years so you can only imagine my frustration.

Here is the issue... when the heater turns on you hear it ignite then it shuts off. My pool guy replaced the ignator rod but then the Jandy tech said we didn't have enough gas pressure going to the heater which makes zero sense since it worked fine for the last 2 years. Anyway we called the gas company and they installed a 2lb gas meter and we had a plumber install a regulator as directed by the Jandy Tech and we still have the same issue. Now of course Jandy is saying there is a problem with the gas line but the gas company took their measurement called the water colum and it was fine. I don't know who to be angry with at this point.

Have any of you had this issue where the heater starts then stops? Eveything was working fine gas wise for over 2 years so how can this have been a problem all along? I am lost.
What heater? What pump? Was the flame-sense rod cleaned? Is the ground for the heater in good condition, no corrosion? You said you hear it ignite then shut down, that sounds like a flame-sense issue.

Last edited:
Welcome to TFP.

What model number was your old heater?

What model number is your new heater?

Depending on the models the gas service may have been adequate for the old heater and not for the new heater.

We can try and help you but we need technical details, not generalites.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.