HEATER (H400FDN HAYWARD) Needs replacement due to corroded firebox

Flo B

Aug 1, 2023
Houston
8 year old H400FDN with advanced corrosion cannot get anyone to repair, seeking replacement on budget _ 260KBTU would be great, something like Raypak 010199 ASME..does that even work with my house low pressure gas ?
Old Hayward has a compressor. Any other suggestions under 3000$ US? Used Haywards ? in TX we do not even use heaters much.

8 year old H400FDN with advanced corrosion cannot get anyone to repair, seeking replacement on budget _ 260KBTU would be great, something like Raypak 010199 ASME..does that even work with my house low pressure gas ?
Old Hayward has a compressor. Any other suggestions under 3000$ US? Used Haywards ? in TX we do not even use heaters much.
Leslie's telling me the cheaper model may be Atmospheric? And that means corrosion at sea level....I don't think get it...are the more expensive ones under positive pressure ?

$3k budget for a new heater would be tough. There are a few sellers on the Houston Facebook marketplace offering rebuilt Hayward and Pentair heaters for ~$2k installed, but you're definitely taking a gamble on how long they'll last.

FWIW, I'm in Houston and I use my heater ~weekly all year long to heat my spa, but I might heat my entire pool ~once a year because it's so slow and expensive (and because our pool season is so long with no heater). If I had no spa and my heater died, I'd just get rid of it or bypass it.

My only data point regarding the longevity of atmospheric heaters in Houston is that the original Teledyne Laars heater installed in our pool in the 90s was completely rusted out when we bought our house three years ago (replaced with a Jandy JXI400 forced air unit which has been great so far).

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.