Heater for 14 foot Intex?

bkp22

May 8, 2023
Kentucky
Is it possible to rig up some sort of a heater for a 14' x 48" pool on the cheap? I believe it's around 4k gallons.

Like say for a hundred bucks? I see there are cheap immersion heaters on aliexpress, and this should be a simple formula, but I don't know what the calculation would be.

Assuming I remove the chinese death heater before getting in, is it possible to warm up this volume of water without spending more than around a hundred dollars?

Is it possible to rig up some sort of a heater for a 14' x 48" pool on the cheap? I believe it's around 4k gallons.

Like say for a hundred bucks? I see there are cheap immersion heaters on aliexpress, and this should be a simple formula, but I don't know what the calculation would be.

Assuming I remove the chinese death heater before getting in, is it possible to warm up this volume of water without spending more than around a hundred dollars?
There are a lot of inexpensive solar options that you can craft yourself with the black poly-pipe and your existing filter system. The goal with pool heating is to slowly heat a lot of water by a little bit, and not a little bit by a lot. I doubt you’d see much of a result if any from those immersion heaters.

I don’t use a heater on my 18’ Coleman, but I’ve thought about crafting one from the poly pipe.

One of the best tricks I learned here was that I can heat the pool effectively just using sunshine during the day, and the catch is to buy a solar cover to keep that heat in over night. While the solar cover won’t really do anything to add heat to your pool, it will reduce overnight heat loss (evaporation cools the pool more than you’d think)! I leave it uncovered during the day to soak up the sunshine and cover at night to minimize evaporation. You’ll see it can raise the average temperature of your pool by quite a bit.

Screen Shot 2023-05-08 at 3.50.51 PM.png

So a 2kw immersion heater would take approximately 2 days to heat the pool up....

Of course this doesn't take into account the air temp dropping at night. Lot of variables to account for, including wind, but it sounds like a 2kw immersion heater at least gets me somewhat into the ballpark. Somewhat. Hard to say if it would actually work.

I saw a YouTube video where a person used a pump and black irrigation tubing on a 2x2 plywood board. He said it worked. Others that commented suggested for him to make a box, paint it black and put plexiglass on the top to enclose the piping to help with heating the water. I believe home solar heaters are basically this. It may be more than $100 but would be relatively inexpensive.

Reactions: thefloatqueen
I saw a YouTube video where a person used a pump and black irrigation tubing on a 2x2 plywood board. He said it worked. Others that commented suggested for him to make a box, paint it black and put plexiglass on the top to enclose the piping to help with heating the water. I believe home solar heaters are basically this. It may be more than $100 but would be relatively inexpensive.
I should add that a solar cover will help keep the water warmer and should be added to the pool either way.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.