Heater coming on automatically

It doesn't look like (from the picture) you can run the spillway independently from the in floor without physically turning valves. Either one, the other, or both.

That's assuming that the "vacuum line" is the in floor, and the "spa water feature" is the spill over. If you want to run both, there may still be a problem, flow. Your VS pump could probably handle supplying enough water, but the plumbing (size) may not be able to deliver it to both. Not seeing the spa overflow (spillway), i can't tell how much water it would need to flow properly/evenly or "look nice". Not that i could give you a number if i could see it. The in floor needs a certain amount of flow as well to operate properly.

You could spend the time and work all the calculations to see if your system could do it, or you could fiddle with the valves and pump speeds and pretty much accomplish the same thing by eye.

Your best bet for every day use is to run the filter with the in floor open and "crack" the spillway valve just enough to allow some water to the spa for circulation. It probably won't look as nice with just a little water going over the spillway, but you will accomplish filtration for the spa and guarantee enough flow for the in floor . Then adjust the valves accordingly when you have a party, or just want to enjoy the spill over.

Note: Some systems have a "pool" return plumbed into the spa for this circulation. But in your case, i don't think you have one looking at your pic.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply!! I appreciate it!

I was told from a pool guy that the "vacuum line" is for a line on the pool wall for a manual vacuum, but that wouldn't make sense, where it's located, correct? The "spa water feature" one simply diverts water returning to the spa from the side jets to a return on the bottom of the spa, where you could hook up a fountain, or whatever.

I don't care much about looks, as this would be for overnight filtration. Actually, I pretty much don't care about looks at all, as I have a waterfall with a separate pump for that would fulfill any "pretty" needs. lol

It sounds like going manual with the motorized valves might be my only option? I *thought* I remember seeing the jets on along with the spillover one night, not long after I moved in. I went outside to see what the noise was. The floor jets were making a funky noise I was unfamiliar with. So I know for sure they were on in the middle of the night, and the spillover through the night was the default program when I bought the place, so I am almost positive they can work simultaneously, and automatically. I'm just clueless on how to set it up. :(

Thanks again for your help!!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.