Heater/Chiller + Gas Heater .... what order?

DigitalCK

Apr 7, 2022
Dallas Tx
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hey y'all, wanted to check in on a question about our new pool.

We have a Jandy Heat/Chill pump (JRT3000R) and a Jandy JXI 400K BTU Pool Heater both.

We have had differing opinions on the order of the flow.

Opinion 1 - Water flow should go through the Heat/Chill pump before it is routed to the Pool Heater, and then to the pool
Opinion 2 - Water flow should go through the Pool Heater before it is routed to the Heat/Chill Pump, and then to the pool

Any thoughts on this? Which way is better and why?

For any additional context if needed... approx 20K gal pool + large spa, 3.5-5ft depth range, chlorine, north texas area. Wanted to use pool longer through the year so was told the chiller portion of heat/chill will give us some relief on hot streaks due to shallow nature, and heater portion of heat/chill will give us stability of warmer as it cools down, and that the JXI component should help us get quicker to a temperature (like spa, or pool) but is not for maintaining as much as the heat/chill unit will be more efficient.

New to this world and learning!

Plumb the (heat pump?) heater/chiller and then the gas heater.
That being said, i would install a heater bypass for each unit to help reduce restriction of the water flow.
This will allow isolating each unit and let you run the VS pool pump at a lower RPM to achieve the same flow rate.

And if you're installing SWG, it goes last (after the heaters/chiller) - before the water returns to the pool/spa.

Then I believe we're in the wrong order per this...

Our heater/chiller was added after our initial order, but before installation began. It has two pipes next to it going in-ground and are un-labeled so I'll have to ask where the in/out come from, but I'm not sure it's right per this conversation...

Our large filter flows into the gas heater, then to chlorine, then I believe back to pool? Or does it go to the heater/chiller AFTER chlorine then back out maybe? Kind of hard to tell.. Is it possible it goes into our heater/chiller THEN the filter and THEN the gas heater?

Any feedback with the added pic now?

IMG_7221.jpg

Take that blue and orange Fusion cartridge and hide it along with any other Fusion cartridges that might be lying around. Do not let them install that it is unnecessary and will do more harm than good! Also it is probably not too late to switch to the FusionSoft chlorine generator. It is the same exact size/footprint.

Take that blue and orange Fusion cartridge and hide it along with any other Fusion cartridges that might be lying around. Do not let them install that it is unnecessary and will do more harm than good! Also it is probably not too late to switch to the FusionSoft chlorine generator. It is the same exact size/footprint.

I read that which is why I pulled it and put the cap back in for it to block off.

Benefit of fusionsoft vs waht I have?

I read that which is why I pulled it and put the cap back in for it to block off.

Benefit of fusionsoft vs waht I have?
Fusionsoft is a saltwater chlorine generator. Your pool will create it's own chlorine.

It looks like you have everything. Why in the world didn't you go saltwater chlorine generator from the start? I even see the versaflow heater bypass.

Last edited:
Your builder will have to explain how they hooked up your HP. I doubt it is the way Jandy recommends.

Reactions: DigitalCK
Fusionsoft is a saltwater chlorine generator. Your pool will create it's own chlorine.

It looks like you have everything. Why in the world didn't you go saltwater chlorine generator from the start? I even see the versaflow heater bypass.
New to pools, didn't do enough research before digging in and signing, got what they recommended as a package.

Nice to know that it seems easy-ish to upgrade that.

Also working now to get in writing from Jandy the ordering so they will be forced to fix it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
New to pools, didn't do enough research before digging in and signing, got what they recommended as a package.

Nice to know that it seems easy-ish to upgrade that.

Also working now to get in writing from Jandy the ordering so they will be forced to fix it.

Can you post a better picture of the plumbing that shows all connections? It is hard to tell what is going on. I see 3 pumps but can't tell where they go. Ask your builder how much to upgrade to the FusionSoft. Should be probably another $2500 or so. That unit you have is near totally worthless. Not just because of the mineral cartridge that you should not use, but because it uses trichlor chlorine pucks which contain CYA (cyanuric acid) and are not recommended for long-term use due to the buildup of CYA they create. They are fine for occasional use. Without a SWG, you really should be adding chlorine (bleach) manually every day. Also it looks like you have water in the pool hopefully you are already testing. I didn't read back did you mention you bought a TF-100 test kit already?

I know from other Texas users that some Texas builders advise not to go with a SWG but that is due to ignorance not anything based on facts.

Also can you confirm if that is a check valve between the gas heater and the Fusion system? There should be one.

Also can you confirm if that is a check valve between the gas heater and the Fusion system? There should be one.
There is a cheap inline one. That cannot be repaired.
And it should not be relied upon. No trichlor should be in that device if the pump is not running.

I see no connection in this pic for your HP.

It looks like a straight a straight flow from pool suction into the pump -> filter -> gas heater -> Jandy fusion -> pool returns.

Has your HP ever been run?

img_7416-jpeg.483981

I don’t know that it had other than setup.

I’m now thinking it’s possible that the HP is receiving flow after fusion and then back into returns (which is on the right)

That also seems off to be heating post chlorine?

That plumbing seems to be a mess to me. Is this a new installation or a retrofit of an existing one? The plumber I had would shudder looking at that he was a perfectionist.

Did you ever get this sorted out? I have the same equipment installed but I feel like my Aqualink isn't configured correctly to take advantage of both systems.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.