Heat Pump Question re Autoset Option

The literature that came with our Pentair Heat Pump says,"UltraTemp provides an AutoSet feature as standard. It monitors water temperature and turns the pump on and off as needed, overriding the time clock to maintain desired temperature. It's the ultimate in convenient, hands free comfort control."

The manual says, "Auto Set on/off Screen - this scree is only shown if the auto set mode is enabled during the factory setup. Allows the operator to turn the autoSet ode On and Off. AutoSet mode periodically energizes a filter pump contactor to start a remote filter pump which allows the heat pump to heat or cool the water as necessary."

Our Heat Pump does show this option but I don't understand how the heat pump can control the water pump and make it turn on when the mechanical timer has it shut off. Is it possible?

Or is this something that would only work with some special set up beyond the regular mechanical timer we have.

I added all our info to my signature because as we start this season I think I am going to have more than a few questions. So many questions have already been answered by reading old posts but some are very specfic to our set up.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Thanks for the information. Certainly more than we would be able to do at this point but it did point me in the right direction. I will go look at the timer hookup and see what it looks like as far as wiring.

I wonder what would happen if I set the heat pump to the auto mode and let things run. If it were not hooked up to run the autoset do you think it would just not turn on after the four hours. So it just wouldn't be able to complete the turn on, check the temp, and run if neccessary schedule and would just do nothing.

My main concern is not damaging the unit. I don't want to fool with it and cause a problem.

Thanks so much for taking time to explain.

What kind of timer do you have? The wiring for the timer is generally directly below the timer display/wheel. They are often covered by either a plastic shield or a metal cover plate. When the timer is directly installed in a sub-panel the cover plate is often the same cover plate the covers the wiring for the breakers.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.