Heat pump or solar heater with solar panels

benconrad30

Jun 2, 2022
Southern Califfornia
Hello all,
I live in Orange County, Ca with San Diego Gas and Electric, SDGE. To make the pool more comfortable for swimming would you recommend a heat pump or solar heating. I use about 20-15 kw of energy a day and am producing easily twice that amount with my solar panels. Any advice would be appreciated.
Thank you,

Here are some prior threads on the question of a Heat Pump in the San Diego area...

The decision will come down to your intended use. I have solar pool heat in north san diego county and while it keeps the pool warm enough for me to swim all year, my wife thinks i'm nuts. Id say it stretches the season to 8-10 months easy. It also had the side effect of keeping the pool warm enough for the SWG to work all year so no liquid supplementation. Theoretically the heat pump (cost to operate not withstanding) could give you 12 months swimmable. I believe @treyrich is in your area and running a heat pump, maybe he could add some insight.

Happy to provide insight, but I do have to preface any insights I provide with the fact that my pool is only 5 months old, and I haven’t been through a full year with it yet.

My findings so far with the heat pump are that yes, it can definitely extend your season 12 months. But it uses a lot of power. Mine can easily pull 30-40 kWh in a day (cold nights in the last week). This power usage is only made worst on cold cloudy days, which is when your power production is not working at its peak.

It works great, but I suspect that this year will be the first year that we end up having a power bill since we added our PV solar, we were in the same boat of only using about half of what we produced, but the heat pump is going to overwhelm that. To me it’s worth it though, because even if I have a power bill at the end of the year, at least I will have used all of the power that I produced rather than just selling it back to the grid.

Reactions: Ahultin
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.