Heat Pump - High Pressure from filter - Install Bypass?

proxim0

Aug 21, 2023
California
Hey everyone.

I'm new here and have been looking around the forum for this specific question. I have seen a few threads that seem to discuss the same question but I had a little more specific question so thought I would ask here.

We are in the process of having our pool built ( just filled a few days ago )

My PB was working on the filter / heat pump yesterday when he noticed the filter PSI was high when running the VS pump. He said he normally sees the PSI around 10 or 12 and it was running at about 20 at a low speed.

He said the high pressure was making it so the return flow was low, and unable to properly circulate. His feeling was that, the water coming out of the filter was more then the heat pump could handle (Rheem 140 BTU 450TI-E) and he probably needed to install a bypass value to level that out.

Now, I have read here and online that having a bypass value is not uncommon, however, when reading about it, its typically around bypassing it entirely, for cleaning or repairs etc. Not in terms of pressure reduction.

My question is, is this type of setup common / recommended, where a bypass value is installed and maybe left a 1/3 open to relive the filter pressure? My first though, was that it would be mixing cold water with warm, and slowing the heating process down. However, its a closed system, so it will eventually be mixing warmer and warmer water as it goes, so I don't know if it make too big a difference. I also saw a youtube video where they talked about this a little, and one guy mentioned that it can help slow down the water passing through the heater, making it heat up more.

I hope I explained that well enough, just trying to see if what my PB is purposing (adding a bypass value from filter to return to lower pressure ) is the right way to go about it, or is there an issue somewhere else?

Thanks everyone!

Welcome to TFP.
A heater bypass will do what you stated and is acceptable to reduce the amount of flow going to the heat pump.
It may take a little longer to heat all the water but eventually it will be consistent.
See the article written on proper installation of a bypass.

Welcome to TFP.

Rheem recommends a bypass valve be installed. See page 11 in https://s3.amazonaws.com/WebPartners/ProductDocuments/3D30B11A-B40F-414C-965A-C23FBC7DC580.pdf

1692718221582.png

Page 42...

1692718307382.png

You need a minimum of 30GPM and a maximum of 80GPM of water flow. Best is a flow rate around 50-60GPM and bypass the rest.

This has nothing to do with filter pressure. Your PB should just follow the manufacturers installation instructions which few seem to do.

What pump do you have?

Welcome to TFP.

Rheem recommends a bypass valve be installed. See page 11 in https://s3.amazonaws.com/WebPartners/ProductDocuments/3D30B11A-B40F-414C-965A-C23FBC7DC580.pdf

View attachment 524298

Page 42...

View attachment 524299

You need a minimum of 30GPM and a maximum of 80GPM of water flow. Best is a flow rate around 50-60GPM and bypass the rest.

This has nothing to do with filter pressure. Your PB should just follow the manufacturers installation instructions which few seem to do.

What pump do you have?
Hi, thanks for this!

We have the 8450TI-E.. Looking at what you posted, it looks like its required.
Thank you so much for the information.

I was asking which filter pump do you have, not heat pump?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.