Heat pump help...

Kiddo44pct

Apr 20, 2017
Nyc
Had electrician out to run 220 line..probably close to 100feet almost 2k..
trying to find the right size heat pump can someone please help..Pool is an Aquasport 52 inch oval pool that is 15ft by 24 feet...Pool is inground..I am totally confused on how many BTUs to get...also possibly model suggestions...all help is greatly appreciated...Pool is in New York City in case weather has anything to do with sizing...once again thankful for any suggestions

Bigger heat pumps heat faster. It costs the same amount of money to heat your pool from temp A to temp B with any heat pump. A 125k BTU heater will just do it about 2 -1/2 times faster than a 50k BTU heat pump. Did you run a 60 amp service? The big heat pumps 125k to 130k BTU need 60a service. Hayward, or Pentair or Raypak are all fine, they all use HVAC components from name brand HVAC manufacturers.

I have a Hayward HP50HA, which is a small heat pump, 50k BTU and requires 20a service.

Also, using a solar bubble cover is recommended to help slow heat loss overnight. Thin and cheap because they only last a couple of years. Mine is 8 mil and makes a big difference on heating.

There is no right answer to that question, except more questions. If money is no object and you have enough electric service then the biggest heat pump is the best option. If electric service is limited or budget is limited then a smaller heat pump will work fine, it will just take longer to heat. If you aren't going to use a solar cover then a bigger heat pump will be needed to offset heat loss. What are you looking to get out of your heat pump? Besides a warm pool? :)

It takes 1 BTU to heat 1 pound of water 1 degree. Heater output is based on BTU output per hour. So, it will take 1 hour to heat 1 pound of water 1 degree.

With a pool you can't really over size a residential heat pump. Its not really like a home heating or cooling system at all in terms of demand. With a home system you can end up short cycling the system if it is too big for the house and that is bad for the system and not efficient.

Even a large heat pump will run for a couple of hours to satisfy the heat demand of most above ground pool. I easily could have put a 125kBTU pump on my pool and it would have worked just fine.

For Kiddo the real question is what size wire did his electrician run because even a small heat pump is going to need #8 wire with a wire run that long to power the pool pump and the heater.

With a pool you can't really over size a residential heat pump. Its not really like a home heating or cooling system at all in terms of demand. With a home system you can end up short cycling the system if it is too big for the house and that is bad for the system and not efficient.

Even a large heat pump will run for a couple of hours to satisfy the heat demand of most above ground pool. I easily could have put a 125kBTU pump on my pool and it would have worked just fine.

For Kiddo the real question is what size wire did his electrician run because even a small heat pump is going to need #8 wire with a wire run that long to power the pool pump and the heater.

This is second year with pool already had 110 line by pool so Hayward 1.5 pool pump was able to be converted from 220v to 110v and plug was added..pool ran fine
Then this year family started asking about heater so called electrician and he gave me price for electric to be around $1900 to run a 220v line for heat pump..about 100 feet and also have cutoff box installed..thanks for replies

If you haven't picked a heat pump yet how did he know what size wire he needed to run?

You still need to know how big the wire is and how much power it can handle before you can pick a heat pump. Saying you paid someone to run run a wire tells me nothing other than there is now a new wire.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Had electrician out to run 220 line..probably close to 100feet almost 2k..
trying to find the right size heat pump can someone please help..Pool is an Aquasport 52 inch oval pool that is 15ft by 24 feet...Pool is inground..I am totally confused on how many BTUs to get...also possibly model suggestions...all help is greatly appreciated...Pool is in New York City in case weather has anything to do with sizing...once again thankful for any suggestions

Go to poolheatpumps.com. Great selection, plenty of help with sizing. I have a 110k btu gulfstream for my 20x40 gunite in MD. It will raise them 10 degrees a day without issues.

Our 18 x 36 is running a 117,500 BTU Heat pump that has a COP of 6.2 . Its more than enough for our pool . We can get a rise of approx 10 degrees during the day if its nice and warm out.
We do cover it with a solar "blanket" at night and when the pool is not in use to conserve to heat and chems .

Hard to believe an electrician would wire such a long run without knowing the specs of what heat pump you will be installing. The heat pump kind of determines what size wire gauge needs to be in place. For a 100' run to power a heat pump , I hope your electrician used 6 gauge at least ! For 2K, I hope so ..........but then again , you are in NYC !
Our 100' 220v run required 6 gauge , on a 50 amp breaker .

Check out the Heat Siphon brand . They are manufactured in Latrobe PA (so kind of local for you) . They have some of the best COP ratings, and are reasonably priced . We have had our Heat Siphon Z575 for abut 3 seasons now with 0 issues ........I mean 0 ! Its a work horse , and very economical to run !
'Good luck !

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.