Heat Pump and AC Unit

cvburch

Jun 21, 2013
First time poster here. I’ve been reading a lot about the hotspot/waste heat recovery from a home air conditioner unit. What I’m curious about is if anybody has done research or investigated combining an AC unit and an electric pool heat pump. I know and understand I could buy the hotspot to put inline with my heat pump. I’m just wondering if there is a way to combine the refrigerant lines between the two units or if anybody has investigated doing so. I live in Michigan, have 8-10 hours of direct sun (for west michigan) a day and the current heat pump and ac unit are already installed approximately 5 feet from each other. Thanks in advance.

It's all about BTUs. I've seen those units and they have very low like 25k BTUs. And they only do anything when your a/c is running. In a nutshell; they are a gimmick.

Yeah, what I’m debating about is could you use the same principle with regards to the coolant loops/water between the two units. Or another option is to use that hotshot as a preheater to reduce the load on my heat pump. Not looking for a full heater, just gain the energy especially since energy prices have gone up by 50% in the last couple of years.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.