Heat Exchanger PVC to Copper Transitions Leaking

Jan 17, 2008
Amherst, MA
We needed to have the pool solar and boiler zone heat exchangers replaced about two years ago and recently the 1 1/2 threaded PVC/Copper joints have started leaking (see photos attached). It appears the thread sealant has dried up and both joints are going to need re-working. Is there a tape/sealant (separate or combined) product that has held up long term for folks in this application? The normal operating temp range is 80 - 85 F at 20 psi. Thanks for any feedback.

Attachments

• 20230113_213058.jpg
    20230113_213058.jpg
    320.3 KB · Views: 12
  • 20230113_221114.jpg
    20230113_221114.jpg
    320.7 KB · Views: 11
Not an expert on this specifically, but I've used regular white Teflon tape with RectorSeal 5 on homes I've built and some I've renovated for all threaded copper > npt pex adapters behind closed walls with no failures in 10 years.

Maybe there's a better combo but I was told by a veteran plumber that tape and dope are better together.

NOTE: Yours is CPVC, and Rectorseal 5 isn't compatible with that so that you'll need Rectorseal "T Plus 5"; it appears to be compatible with CPVC and never dries out.

Last edited:
Thanks. We've used both (tape plus silicone) on all the Hayward threaded connections with no issues over the years but they are PVC-PVC. Would compression fittings be something to consider here in order to have something easier to take apart in the future?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.