Heat exchanger cleaning. Is it a diy?!

Aug 9, 2014
Hi all, I wouldn't have a pool without this forum. A big thank you to everyone! <br />
I was wondering if any of you have attempted to take apart and clean their heat exchanger. There is an excellent 2 part 'how too' video on you tube with step by step instructions.
https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://m.youtube.com/watch%3Fv%3Dw5fEnagoRbU&ved=0ahUKEwi2-qDm1vDUAhVH2IMKHc_ZBD0QwqsBCEgwAw&usg=AFQjCNFJGecY5pzXC3n4XzgR-NUuzd7kjw

I've had a few pool guys over and they ve all said the same thing. Heat exchanger is plugged. They want 1000 to 1200 to do it. <br />
Thanks in advance <br />
Tim
7fd40accf549310b707812dc1e52caad.jpg
265e12bc80ef6a809d03be2d63330319.jpg
2e5a2916ce960383093db08762ff1ba5.jpg

This is something that I even wouldn't do and I've been repairing them for 10 years. They charge so much as you can see from that video, you are disassembling the entire heater. You take lots of chances of other things happening. Plus you will need to replace a few items along the way.

I can see I would need to replace the gasket and o rings, what else would you think I may need. I've already had the manifold apart with no issues, everything was clean. Tested the sensors and reinstalled.
Thank you for your reply!

You also need to get rid of the flex line you have supplying gas to the unit.

Are you going to open the canister? If so, then you need the sealant and also probably need to replace the insulator pads inside. If you're just going to squirt water thru the heat exchanger's tubes, then you just need the gasket and o-rings. Also check tout the thermal regulator as well.

I wondered if the flex line was the issue as its only 1/2". Yes opening the canister, I do have the red high temp silicone sealant as well. Yes just pressure wash the calcium out. Yes thermal regulator looks ok.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.