Jul 26, 2022
Nashville, TN
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
I have new vinyl liner pool that was completed late last summer. I have one pump that just controls my water features (3 sheer decent and 2 bubblers). It’s a Hayward VSP 2.7HP. No filter attached to the feature pump.

When I turn the pump on high, I hear a pulsating noise seemingly from the pump motor. My sheer decents pulsate as very pretty violently. When the pump is on medium, it doesn’t make the pulsating noise and the water features operate normally. I opened and closed all the valves and made sure the pump basket lid was on firmly and the seal intact. There are no leaks at all.

Video/noise of the pump

Video of pulsating water feature:

Hayward - W3SP3206VSP TriStar Variable Speed Pool Pump, 2.7 THP, 115V
Why did you connect it to 115 volts and not 230 volts?

1005 watts at 115 volts is 8.7 amps, which means that the pump is probably reducing the speed to avoid going over this limit.

As you can see, the pump limits the performance when the power gets too high.

1681091052421.png

72% is 2,484 RPM and the pump won't do more than 2,400 RPM when connected to 115 volts.

Can you show the label that shows the maximum amps?

They should connect it to 230 volts and not 115 volts.

72% is 2,484 RPM and the pump won't do more than 2,400 RPM when connected to 115 volts.

Can you show the label that shows the maximum amps?

They should connect it to 230 volts and not 115 volts.
Sorry it is 230 and not 115. It worked fine for 2 months last year and for a day when I opened the pool this year. 2nd time I turned it on, this started happening.

Any other thoughts eliminating the 115V since it’s actually 230v

Sorry it is 230 and not 115. It worked fine for 2 months last year and for a day when I opened the pool this year. 2nd time I turned it on, this started happening.

Any other thoughts eliminating the 115V since it’s actually 230v
EF81EE22-D5ED-4AA3-90F9-2BE23BF9963D.jpeg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Are you sure that the supply voltage is 230?

Can you measure the voltage and current while it is running?
Well, I’ll be darned..123 volts.

If my bubblers and warerfalls are on at the same time (on high), it makes the pulsating noise. If I turn on JUST the bubblers or Just the waterfalls (on high) it does not due the pulsating.

Why would both water features on at the same time only (on high) create that noise?

Sorry, I’m trouble shooting as I go. Thank you

Lower resistance means higher flow and higher power.

I suspect that the drive is limiting the amperage.

I would wire it to 230 volts so that the pump works correctly.
Ah, well that makes sense. Last year it ran from sep - Nov running both bubblers and waterfall on high without the pulsating noise. Why would it start making the pulsating noise now?

I would ask the builder to wire it correctly for 230 volts like they should have done from the start.

I would file a warranty claim with Hayward and the builder and let them figure it out.

Did you register your equipment with Hayward for the warranty?

I would ask the builder to wire it correctly for 230 volts like they should have done from the start.

I would file a warranty claim with Hayward and the builder and let them figure it out.

Did you register your equipment with Hayward for the warranty?
4CEB7E75-1ED5-43ED-8D98-A97C6BCF657E.jpeg
I didn’t measure between l1 and 12 last night. I do have 240 volts. So looks like that’s not the culprit. I have a warranty through my builder and I’ll reach out to him. Thank you!

Vacuum gauge screwed into the front drain plug.

However, be very careful as the drain plug hole is plastic and the pressure gauge is 1/4" NPT brass and it can easily crack the threaded plastic hole.

IMG_2410-X3.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.