Hayward Turbo Cell 15 lifespan?

Jan 3, 2016
Mesa, Az
I have a Hayward T-15 that will be in service four years this coming September. In the past, when the automation showed low salt, I’d have the pool guy boil out the cell and everything would read normal (3200ppm) until the next cleaning was needed. Just recently the salt level was reported to be so low that the cell went into shutdown. Is the cell toast? I don’t backflush or have much splash-out so the salt just can’t “go away”, right?? It was just cleaned two months ago.

thanks!

The first question would be, have you tested your salt?

The lifespan of a cell is finite.

So, if you run it at 10% it will last 10 times longer than if you run it at 100% We always recommend a cell that is rated for double your pool volume so you don't have to run it full out all the time.

The incremental cost of a larger sell is minimal when purchasing.

The cell is plenty big for the pool. The builder, who is also the maintainer, runs the cell at 100% during the warm months. I used to tell him I didn’t want it that high because of wear and over-chlorination but he said that’s their policy. I have to admit during the three years I didnt live here, the pool was always crystal clear. I have been living here now for nearly a year so keeping a closer eye on things.

Post current test results from your TF-100 and we may be able to advise if you need to tweak something. My guess is the builder/maintainer isn't keeping levels within the TFP suggested parameters. The cell shouldn't be scaling up and needing cleaning in a 2 month time span.

FC
CC
pH
TA
CH
CYA
Water temp

Are you using the PoolMath app to log your testing results.

Since you have a great test kit, SWG and infloor cleaning, what exactly is the pool guy doing and why are you paying him to do it? If you are able to spend a maximum of 10 minutes a day and maybe 30 minutes on Saturday testing and "maintaining" you can have a trouble free pool and not be guessing what's going on with your pool.

Reactions: BigEinAZ
I have T-15. First lasted 10 yrs, second 8 (as of today, it's toast). I clean it annually (2p water, 1p HCl); haven't needed to clean it any more than that.

Each year, the HCl solution boils very little when cleaning (so not very much scale buildup). We have well water here, typically battling high alkalinity. Pool volume is 30k gallons (vinyl) and cell is rated for 40k gallons. Usually set 10-20% range. Normally keep the water reasonably balanced, but haven't been fastidious and it's gotten out of whack occasionally (doing a deep clean of the sand filter really makes a huge difference!).

So 4 years running full-tilt is probably a reasonable expectation. Were it my pool, I doubt I'd burn it that hard; however, as they say, your mileage may vary. Your water, your pool may need it. A test kit with a quick chlorine and pH kit like the one that comes in the TF-100 could very well extend the life of your cell considerably (assuming, of course, you use it and adjust the cell's output to keep your levels reasonable).

Troubleshooting guide for the control box (if your cell and controls are separate) ... 1. Turn switch to off, 2. Turn switch to Auto and wait (10s or so) for the relay to click, 3. Push "Diagnostics" button 5 times and wait for the number to stabilize (will show negative), 4. Switch to Super Chlorinate, then back to Auto. If the number still does not match the salt level, time for a new cell.

Do not acid clean the cell unless necessary. Try using a strong stream of water first to clean it out.

If you properly manage your pool water chemistry, you should never have to clean the SWCG at all. I have not in 6 years. With up to 800+ ppm CH in my pool water.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.