Hayward Tristar VS 950 Pump turning off

tommelton

Silver Supporter
Jun 23, 2021
Suburb of Atlanta, GA
I have a new issue. Pool is just over a year old (since new), added a Raypak 400K NG heater early October last year. Controller is OmniPL, the issue I am seeing is pump shutdown - I have only seen it happen with the heater on in the OmniPL. For example, pump running on schedule, turn the heater on, pump speed increases, valve opens, heater fires. Runs fine. At some point the pump is off in the OmniPL. No messages, no alerts, nothing. It is like someone went in and simply turned the pump off on the OmniPL display.

I thought the wife was somehow doing it using the OmniLogic iPhone app - as it at times coincided with her swiping the application closed. But yesterday, I was in the pool, heater was running, she was going to change into her bathing suit. She did not touch the app. Set temp was reached, as I heard the heater turn off and noticed the water cool down from the returns. Got out of the pool to go verify the temperature and the pump showing off on the controller.

Any ideas?

I cannot find any online information, or in the supplied manuals how to use the Hayward diagnostics. I haven't went into that option yet on the controller. Wanted to ask before I start experimenting.

-Tom

Sorry for the slow reply - very busy weekend. Cooldown is enabled, extend is enabled. Minimum speed is set to 50% which we call/label as "medium".

Schedules for filter pump are the only schedules:

Equipment Start Time End Time Setting Repeat Status En\Dis
Filter Pump 07:00 AM 07:03 AM high All Week Enable
Filter Pump 07:03 AM 01:00 PM low All Week Enable
Filter Pump 01:00 PM 06:00 PM med All Week Enable
Filter Pump 06:00 PM 08:00 PM low All Week Enable

Auto prime is not enabled, I prefer to control it myself, hence the 3 minute on high at 7am.

I did run a quickie test this weekend, during the morning period where the speed was "low", turned heater on with a setpoint 1 degree higher than pool temp. Valve opened, pump speed increased to "medium" and heater lit. It ran until setpoint was reached, heater turned off, valve closed, and the speed went back to "low".

Pump did NOT turn off with this test. I was surprised the speed immediately went back to "low" - figured cooldown would keep the speed at heater minimum until cooldown completed.

-Tom

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.