Hayward swim pure plus 0 salt cell reading

Oct 14, 2016
Virginia Beach
Need a little help if someone can lend a hand. Monday we had a huge storm and I had to drain the pool. I forgot to switch back to circulate and ran the pump dry all day while I was at work. we immediately filled the pool and tested and the pump seemed to work, but was scorching hot. Well today I noticed that the pool was greening up so I went to check the panel. The salt level was 0 despite recently adding a couple bags of salt. My theory is that maybe the SWCG cable might have been touching the pump and burned it or the controller up. I did inspect the cable and there are no burn marks or anything to suggest that. The area under the T-15 cell label looks slightly burned as well. I found some old threads and checked the readings. Also, it was difficult to hear, but I did not hear the relay click when it switched to generating:

84P
AL-1
r1.40

Any help? Thank you

Also, additional info I found just now. I pulled off the control board panel and there is smell of burnt electronics. Thermistor was good.

Last edited:
TFP is not a fan of pool stores, but... you could take the Hayward salt cell to Leslie's. That's the only brand of SWG they test.

Run the diagnostics.
I suspect there is damage on the board.
I'll that this evening. If it is indeed the board, does anyone know if this one has a decent reputation?

I have seen someone post they bought that board.
Also, I believe the Wiki has a link to a company that does board repairs.

So I ran the on/off diags as outlined in the basic diag section

off

84P
al1
r1.40

on

all the same except the 3rd value is 29.4

off, wait, then on was same as step 2.

I took the cell to leslies and they said it was bad, but i want to confirm the board is working first before I spend $900 on a cell. Btw, when did they get so expensive? This is a genuine Hayward and it was about $500 when I bought it.

board is smoked. definitely the relay. the e9 spade lug came off with my pliers easily and I assume the heat from the thermistor must have partially desoldered it. looks like I'll need a repair or replacement. looks like that trace runs to the SWCG so I hope it didn't take that out too.

Attachments

• 20220804_183506.jpg
    20220804_183506.jpg
    213.7 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
SWCG's have increased in price. Thank the rare earth metals industry -- China

You can possibly get the board repaired. Check with the company linked in the Wiki.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.