Hayward SWG

skygremlin

Apr 20, 2012
Orange County, CA
SWG is not generating Chlorine again..

I tried resetting the aquarite generator per below, water tests show Salt level ok, Cell was cleaned and tested ( tested good ). I had this issue years ago and I ended up replacing circuit board in the Aquarite Generator. I'm thinking this is my next step again.. If so, is the model I need: G1-011056G-1 A?

Option 1: https://www.amazon.com/Hayward-GLX-...0592339&sprefix=g1-011056g-1+a,aps,159&sr=8-3

Reset Notes:
- You can reset it by simply holding down the diagnostic button for 3 seconds, then release.

Reset:
Have your pump running and power on to your salt system.
- Flip the switch on your box first to off then to the auto setting.
- Press your black diagnostic button 5 times. This will begin scrolling through numbers shortly.
- When the scrolling numbers reach the salt reading your pool store gave you flip the switch to super chlorinate. Your display will show you the salt reading you have locked into for calibration.
- You may have to repeat this several times to lock yourself into the correct number.

sky,

I can't speak for certain as to if the amazon one will work or not, though I would suspect it will. Since its amazon, and just double checked to be sure, there is a 30 day return if somehow it doesn't work. I know its possible there could be compatibility issues based on the version you have. I read somewhere that the newest version (1.59) does not have thermistor issues.... so makes me think it could be something else, but again that usually is the top thing that breaks. I was going to say make sure its not your cell dying, etc. but sounds like you're on top of that.

One other note to consider though. Have you looked into Hayward Board Repair by B&L Enterprises ? It looks like it would be a lot cheaper option for you. I've never used them before (just bought my new aquarite about a month ago) but I've read through here that others have used this guy and they've been very happy with the results. My understanding is you only pay $50, send this guy your board, and he fixes it. He has a 12 month guarantee as well. I figured in the future if I ever had any board problems, this would be the place I would start. This sort of details his process ( How Does It Work? ). Looks like within 2 days (and often same day) he can have the board fixed and on the way back.

If you still have the old board....you could also send him both so you have a backup lol. I'd personally do that rather than spend $350 if I could afford to wait.

Last edited:
GLX-PCB-RITE is the model. G1-011056G-1 A is the revision number. Only the software features will change with revision but I don't suspect there is much of a difference.

Did you look into replacing the thermistor? It isn't that difficult.

I don't think it's a setting but rather cause in effect meaning it's there to protect the cell when no flow is present. It now for some reason is not reading flow. Do you have the wire clipped in properly or perhaps have a damaged wire between the clip and the flow switch. If you have an old phone cable with the same wire end as the flow switch you can do a simple test. Cut the wire 3 inches from the end, strip back the 2 wire a little and twist them together. Now take the short wire and plug it into where the flow switch plugs into the control. As long as you know you have good flow this will tell you if the flow switch is bad or is it something else. You can't leave this in as this bypassed flow switch safety.

I think I got it working now…

I had the salt cell tested again and it tested positive…. So I did the below:

- Did a backwash to clean anything junk out ( there is a lot now )
- Reset the salt cell by holding the diagnostics on the panel
- Removed the RJ-11 plug and reseated it
- Reset the salt measurement on the Controller board a couple times
- Added a little more salt too just to make sure I had enough ( salt reading was in the range, but a little toward the bottom )

Fired it up and the board eventually read generating and super generating was working…. This usually failed after a few minutes, but it’s been running now for over an hour and still is showing generating and the No Flow is still off..

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.