Hayward SWG Digital Salt Readout vs Taylor Salt Test

Sep 28, 2016
Central, Illinois
Hey all,

I have a Hayward AquaTrol RJ SWG. The screen reads 3200PPM of salt, which is according to the directions, the PERFECT salt level for generation.

However I just tested the water with my Taylor liquid salt test kit and it shows 4600ppm of salt.

The generator wont generate chlorine if the salt level is below 2700ppm or above 3400 ppm. However if it only detects 3200ppm, if the salt is really 4600ppm, I don't know what that will affect?

I assume the liquid test is the most accurate? However I've read that even the liquid test for salt water is inaccurate? I assume the Hayward controller uses electrical conductance to measure PPM of salt? Which may be more accurate? I don't know.

What say the hive?

Thanks!

-ThaChad

So with my first swg, the Taylor test would always register 600-800 PPM higher than my Hayward. But it was consistent so I could know the trends and when the cell started failing and reading an even lower salt level than the Taylor I knew the cell is going bad. I just installed a new cell and its reading happens to match very well with the Taylor so I don't know why my first one was so different.

So with my first swg, the Taylor test would always register 600-800 PPM higher than my Hayward. But it was consistent so I could know the trends and when the cell started failing and reading an even lower salt level than the Taylor I knew the cell is going bad. I just installed a new cell and its reading happens to match very well with the Taylor so I don't know why my first one was so different.

Well my cell shouldn't be anywhere close to needing replaced. I looked threw it when I filled the pool back up from winter and I did not see any build up or anything in the cell.. Should I run a muriatic acid/water mix in the cell anyway?

So should I trust the Taylor liquid test results? If so, then I need to remove water and add fresh water... Does having the salt content too high affect anything? If the system thinks it's okay?

Thanks,

-ThaChad

The swg will only work if it thinks there's the appropriate amount of salt in the pool. If you drain it to lower what the Taylor test says than likely you will start getting low salt warnings. This is a sign of a failing cell

The RJ model doesn't use a flow switch. Any chance that the cell is on when the pump is off?

What are the diagnostic readings?

How old is the cell?

Test for salinity using a third method just to verify.

The RJ model doesn't use a flow switch. Any chance that the cell is on when the pump is off?

What are the diagnostic readings?

How old is the cell?

Test for salinity using a third method just to verify.

No chance. The pump is plugged into the control box. The swg only runs when the pump is on.

What diagnostic readings? No error lights..

The cell was purchased new in July of 2016, but was not used untill the 2017 pool season.

So it has only been used 1 full season. I have not cleaned the cell at all, but looking into the cell, there is nothing on the fins. It looks new.

-ThaChad

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
All of them.

[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]86 - Pool Temp[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]26.5 - Cell Voltage[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]4.52 - Cell Current[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]26P - Cell Output Percentage[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]-3300 - Instant Salinity Reading[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]AL-7 - Cell Type (Return jet)[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]r1.45 - Software Version[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]

-ThaChad[/FONT]

It might be a failing cell. However, I am not confident that we know the actual salinity.

If the box is more than 800 ppm below actual salinity, the cell is bad.

To add to the mix. I have a Refractometer that is used to check my salinity level in my Saltwater Reef fish tank.

It reads SG (Specific Gravity) and PPT. So I decided to check the pool water. It reads 5PPT, which after googling, would be 5ppt x 1000 = 5000 PPM. I don't know what is the most accurate way to measure salinity, but I know in the Reef Aquarium industry, the Refractometer is look at as the most accurate measurement for Salinity.

-ThaChad

To add to the mix. I have a Refractometer that is used to check my salinity level in my Saltwater Reef fish tank.

It reads SG (Specific Gravity) and PPT. So I decided to check the pool water. It reads 5PPT, which after googling, would be 5ppt x 1000 = 5000 PPM. I don't know what is the most accurate way to measure salinity, but I know in the Reef Aquarium industry, the Refractometer is look at as the most accurate measurement for Salinity.

-ThaChad

For further confusion, I found my Auqarite Salt test strips, tested with them and it shows 3820ppm.

So pretty much not one test agrees.

-ThaChad

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.