Hayward Sand Filter Tank Leak

tgodon

May 2, 2023
New Jersey
A couple weeks ago I noticed what appeared to be a leak from the bottom of our 18 year old Hayward ST310T2 sand filter tank. There was water coming from under the base. I used a hole saw and put a 2" hole in the base and confirmed it was wet under the tank. I talked to my pool guy and he said they can crack at the seam so we ordered a new tank last week. Over the last few days the leak has seemed to dried up. Perhaps due to be doing a backwash and thereby reducing pressure in the tank? We noticed it dried up a couple days after the backwash. There has only been one day with a small bit of water since. I don't want to spend the $1500 in parts and labor to replace the tank if it is not cracked. I checked all other areas and fittings and found no leaks. Just confused as to how it has stopped after constantly being wet for a couple weeks other than less pressure in the system and it and the water is not being forced out of the crack.

Can you share some pics? 18 yeas seems like a pretty good run for a filter. So you have a new one on the way but haven't installed it yet correct? You mentioned there may have been changes after backwashing, can you tell us more about the filter pressure readings before & after the backwash?

Can you share some pics? 18 yeas seems like a pretty good run for a filter. So you have a new one on the way but haven't installed it yet correct? You mentioned there may have been changes after backwashing, can you tell us more about the filter pressure readings before & after the backwash.
Unfortunately I do not have pictures from when it was leaking. I did a quick drawing describing the leak. For close to 2 weeks it was wet on the concrete in front of the tank base as shown in blue. From about half way back on the filter. I drilled a 2" hole in the back side of the base and it was wet inside there. Since then it has dried up and I have not seen it wet. Pressure from before backwashing was 21 psi, and after backwash it has been about 18 psi, so not a big difference.
Filter Leak.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.