Hayward Sand Filter Sand Screen Under Drain Broken and Stuck

DoItYourselfPoorly

Apr 23, 2024
Indiana
Any advice how to remove and replace the white sand screen under the drain cap. I like to learn how things work so decided to change out my own sand once my multiport cracked this winter. I opened the drain cap and flipped it over to unlock the sand screen and let the sand pour out and it snapped instanly. I shop vac'd all the sand out and cleaned the tank and tried to tap it out with a screw driver, cut it out with a knife, and anything else I could think of that wouldnt break the filter can. I assumed this was threaded and not glued or held by pressure. I planned to try a blow dryer to heat it up and keep working on it with a screw driver/hammer. The cap is not pretty much demolished except for the solid white part holding it in place. Thank you in advance for your help. First time posting here.

I would guess it's just pushed in (not sure from the inside or outside). Below are a couple of images from the manual. 2006 and newer look like the strainer is threaded in. Kind of looks like the back side of the cap can be used to install and remove the strainer.

1713896803389.png

1713896409348.png
1713896429543.png

Attachments

• 1713896780965.png
    1713896780965.png
    3.9 KB · Views: 0
Thank you for the response. It was installed in 2019 so should have the threaded cap. When I used the drain cap key to remove that was the first break. I guess I will just keep chipping and figuring out ways to get it removed from being jammed. Thank you again.