Hayward ProLogic freeze protect running frequency

Jul 4, 2016
DFW area, TX
I’m hopeful that someone with a similar setup can assist.

I have a Jandy Aqualink system and understand it well.

My neighbor has a Hayward ProLogic system with 3 single speed pumps and we’re both confused about how freeze protect works there. His PB hasn’t been very helpful and has told him simply ... “that’s how it works”.

This is the issue ...

When the air temperature is below 40oF the pump(s) run *every* 5 minutes for about 1 minute and then typically shut off. Frankly this system is keeping his family and my family awake at night - it’s between our houses. :/

Does anyone have configuration suggestions on how to ...
- lower the freeze temp to 34
- increase the time interval between the pump starting to test the water temperature
- generally reduce the number of pump starting cycles

All help appreciated.

PK

What specific model pumps does your neighbor have? Some Hayward pumps have their own low temperature protection.

The freeze protection temperature is adjustable from 33º F to 42º F (38ºF is the default). Go to configuration and set freeze temperature as you like. Unlock configuration by pressing < > at the same time for 10 seconds. See page 25 in https://hayward-pool-assets.com/ass...ls/pl-ps-pl-ps-x-v-operation.pdf?fromCDN=true

Hayward Prologic freeze protection is poorly described in their manuals. Your neighbor may need to call Hayward Tech Support.

@mas985 may have some ideas. He commented about freeze protection in this thread...

Hayward website says:
Does the Pro Logic™ provide freeze protection?
The Pro Logic™ can turn various outputs on when freezing temperatures are detected. This function is fully programmable including which outputs will turn on and also the temperature threshold. This freeze protection is normally adequate for area that experience infrequent freezing conditions with temperatures that don't dip to far below 32ºF (0ºC). For all other systems, the pools should be shut down per normal procedures for the winter

Last edited:
Freeze protection goes by air temperature, not water temperature.

So, it should not be cycling.

Verify that the air and water temperature readings are accurate and that the sensors are not switched (air sensor connected to the water sensor terminal).

Many thanks for the replies.

Not sure of the model(s) but they are Hayward pumps.

They come on right as the air temperature hits 40oF - they’ve been on/off enough for us to work that out.

If the freeze protection is built into the pump and he would rather have it controlled by the Pro/AquaLogic do you know if it’s possible to disable it at the pump? - via dip switches for example.

I’ll try to find the pump models and do some more reading. I’ll also ask him to check over his water/air temps and make sure those look okay.

PK

You said that the pumps are single speed.

So, that means simply on/off based on power.

If the ProLogic is turning the pumps on based on air temperature, then it should not be turning right back off unless the air temperature is going back up.

The symptoms point to the air and water temperature sensors being connected to the wrong terminals in the ProLogic box.

You can disable the freeze protection in the Prologic settings if you want.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.