Hayward Maxflow VS or TriStar VS to replace Super II

Mar 9, 2018
AZ / Phoenix
Hi Guys, Looking into changing out my pool equipment. Came with the house and pretty old and leaking in both the pump and I think the 2 way valve.

Don't want to to the maintenance of cleaning out the DE filter and also not wanting to breath the DE in anymore.

Looking to switch out to a Sand filter for less maintenance. Below is the equipment I'm looking at. Looking at buying the Expert Line version of either the MaxFlo or Tristar but looks like my pool falls in between these two pumps and isn't ideal for either.

Maxflo VS 1.65 HP 220 volt and S244T or S270T filter as a replacement.

TriStar VS 1.85 HP 220 Volt.

For my calculations I only need 24 GPM to turn over my pool in 8 Hours, but I think I'll need more GPM in order for the suction to work on my vacumm.

I'm afraid the Tristar will be too strong during the Priming process for either the 24" or 27" sand filter. I can not physically fit the 30" Filter.

It looks like the Maxflow will not have enough suction to run with the vacumm unless it's at the full RPM which negates me getting a VS pump. Any advice and corrections to my assumptions would be usefull.

My hope was to be able to get the Maxflow and run at a reduced RPM for noise but the Local pool store said the Maxflo would be actually less GPM than the existing Super II at 100% rpm.

If I've done my research correctly I'm getting the following specs.

Existing GPM Super II and 3/4 HP @ 50ft = 55 GPM

Maxflo GPM @ 50ft = 40 GPM

Tristar GPM @ 50ft = 96 GPM

Existing Equipment

Pump: Hayward Super ii Pump 3/4 HP, Service Factor 1.5

Filter: Hayward Pro Grid DE3620.

Pool 11,000 Gallons

Est about 50 ft of Head based on two suction lines.

Suction Line 1: 2" Skimmer and Pool Drain combined (~66 ft away)

Suction Line 2: 1.5" Vac Line connected to The PoolCleaner Pool Vacumm (!44 ft away)

Return Line 1: 1.5" Main pool return (splits to 4 retun holes in the pool)

Return Line 2: 3/4" Aerator going to 2 Aeretor

You can set the maximum rpm on the variable speed Tristar, so I don't think you need to worry about the priming being too powerful for the filter. You can also forego priming totally and just have the pump start at a given rpm.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.