Hayward Max Flo VS 500

EJBP

Jun 2, 2023
Levittown, NY
Hello everyone,

After finally getting my pool fixed and up and running I am at the point i can start tweaking pump settings. I have a Hayward Max Flo VS 500 1.65 THP on 2 inch piping pumping on a 25000 gallon pool (Main drain is dead only have 2 skimmers, pool size 36 by 16 rectangle). The pool has a T9 cell Hayward SWG at 60%. DE filter is DE4820 with current pressure at 7 psi. Currently the pump has been running 24/7 at 2850 RPM (530 watts), i imagine the electric bill is going to bite me in the butt in a few weeks. The kid at the pool store told me to run it 8 hours a day or all night if i add chemicals. What is your recommendation, how long should i run the pump? I am aware if the pump is not running 24/7 the SWG may need to be adjusted on the percentage of Chlorine production but given that TC went from 3.19 to 7.8 in 96 hours maybe i can leave it at 60%)

Not sure if relevant to this post but here are the latest AccuBlue test results (i know they are not the best but i dont have a TF-100 Salt kit yet):
FC 7.8
TC 7.8
pH 7.5
TA 78
CH 163
CYA 41
Iron 0.1
Copper 0.3
Phos 208
Salt 2900 (My hayward panel says 3400)

Lower the rpm on the pump until the flow light on the SWCG indicates No Flow. Then move it back up 200 rpm. If that skims the surface too, leave it at that.
You can schedule the pump to operate fewer hours. Do you have a means to remove the power from the SWCG when you do? It must be completely powered off when the pump is off.

No need to run the pump for more than 30 minutes or after adding acid. That is the only liquid chemical you will need with a SWCG. If adding stabilizer, use the sock method.

Lower the rpm on the pump until the flow light on the SWCG indicates No Flow. Then move it back up 200 rpm. If that skims the surface too, leave it at that.
You can schedule the pump to operate fewer hours. Do you have a means to remove the power from the SWCG when you do? It must be completely powered off when the pump is off.

No need to run the pump for more than 30 minutes or after adding acid. That is the only liquid chemical you will need with a SWCG. If adding stabilizer, use the sock method.
thank you for the fast response MKnaus. Much appreciated. I will try operating it 10 hours a day at a lower speed. i think that should be good enough it seems. i will use the sock method to add stabilizer. I reviewed the SWCG guidelines for higher CYA in these setups. And no i dont have a way to automatically power off the SWC when the pump is stopped. However i dont imagine a SWC uses that much electricity when the pump is not running since when there is no flow the AQuarite W3AQR9 should not be producing Chlorine.

And no i dont have a way to automatically power off the SWC when the pump is stopped.
Do realize that if the SWCG has power when the pump is not running, it can explode. Does not happen often, but has happened. Your choice.

Also, the Aquarite controls seem to be especially effected by heat. So running them without reason is not a good idea.

You need to remove the power going to the SWCG. I suspect OFF might work, but I have no personal experience with that model.

Oh no. Is it enough to just flip the switch to Off on the SWG panel (currently set to Auto) or do I have to completely remove power from the breaker?
Turn the Hayward to off and it is safer, BUT, that switch is not designed to be used on a continuous basis, it will wear out. The best is to use a separate time clock. If nothing else, a double-pole "light switch" in the circuit to be sure the power is off is better than nothing, but you will forget to turn it on the week of the most important party and the hottest weather.

I have the same (though older) AquaRite. It is on a timer. What you need to know is that what many here are saying, because it can, it very well might (continue to produce cL with no flow). If it can fail (like a flow switch) it will. Do it once and you will never regret it.

I have also mounted my cell "upside-down" so that at the low flow that closes the flow switch I know the cell and internal sensor are completely covered with water when it is running.

Turn the Hayward to off and it is safer, BUT, that switch is not designed to be used on a continuous basis, it will wear out. The best is to use a separate time clock. If nothing else, a double-pole "light switch" in the circuit to be sure the power is off is better than nothing, but you will forget to turn it on the week of the most important party and the hottest weather.

I have the same (though older) AquaRite. It is on a timer. What you need to know is that what many here are saying, because it can, it very well might (continue to produce cL with no flow). If it can fail (like a flow switch) it will. Do it once and you will never regret it.

I have also mounted my cell "upside-down" so that at the low flow that closes the flow switch I know the cell and internal sensor are completely covered with water when it is running.
Thank you poolman. I will go for the omnihub automation system hopefully next year when i get a heat pump. For this summer i have set an alarm on my phone daily to turn it on or off (my pool season is short, just 3 months). One important question... if I do use an external clock this year i noticed the new aquarite upon installation says to first set the correct cell size (mine is T9) on the control panel first then connect the cell to panel. i am worried that if the power is cut off the control panel will forget the T9 cell size setting and reset to the default size (i think T6 or T15 i cant remember). or does that not happen? i have asked Hayward this question but no response yet. (it is a holiday weekend so they will hopefully reply tomorrow).

Thank you poolman. I will go for the omnihub automation system hopefully next year when i get a heat pump. For this summer i have set an alarm on my phone daily to turn it on or off (my pool season is short, just 3 months). One important question... if I do use an external clock this year i noticed the new aquarite upon installation says to first set the correct cell size (mine is T9) on the control panel first then connect the cell to panel. i am worried that if the power is cut off the control panel will forget the T9 cell size setting and reset to the default size (i think T6 or T15 i cant remember). or does that not happen? i have asked Hayward this question but no response yet. (it is a holiday weekend so they will hopefully reply tomorrow).
No, it will not "forget."

Reactions: EJBP

Have a similar system can u just switch it off in omnilogic app?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.