Hayward Low Salt System

CarolD

Jul 21, 2018
Richmond, TX
I have been dumping jugs of liquid chlorine into my pool for about 3 years now. I was warned away from a SWCG system by my poolbuilder, who said it would damage my moss rock waterfall. While talking with a pool service company about a different issue, I brought up the SWCG question to him, and he said that Hayward makes a low salt system that runs at a minimum salt level of 1200 ppm. He measured the salt level in my pool, and it was already 1800 ppm. He said that the system would work fine for me.

He quoted a Hayward TCELL940 with a 4 year warranty. I like the idea of not having to dump jugs of chlorine in the pool, and not dealing with the plastic waste as well (although I do recycle the jugs.) But...when I went to the Hayward website, I couldn't find anything about the required salt level to run the TCELL940. The documentation on the website was VERY sparse. Other systems had the owners manual available, but the TCELL940 had only the installation manual posted, and that didn't address required minimum salt levels.

So....I called Hayward, and the person I spoke with said that the TCELL940 required something like 3200 ppm of salt to run (I was on the phone so I didn't get written documentation.) I asked about low salt systems, and the Hayward phone tech said they made a low salt system, but only available in Canada, and it was NOT the TCELL940, but an AquaRite system.

At this point, I don't understand why a pool service company would recommend something that apparently isn't supported by the company who makes it. I would say they just want a sale, but they are also throwing in 4 years of labor along with Hayward's 4 year warranty.

I see that there is someone who posts from Hayward Pool, but I don't know how to tag them. Can anyone help me on this?

Last edited:
The low salt swcg is de rated such that it would not produce enough FC for your volume pool.

A normal salinity of 3400 ppm will do no harm to your water fall.

The pool service company is incorrect (as they often are….sigh). The Hayward TCell940 is the extended life salt cell used with the Hayward AquaRite system sold in the US and requires a salt level around 3200ppm. Hayward also makes an AquaRite low salt system that is sold in Canada (not in the US). Here’s a link to the Canadian website for the Hayward AquaRite low salt system;

Though we don’t have natural stone (but not an issue from my understanding), our pool has been using an AquaRite salt system (3200ppm salt) since 2004 with absolutely no damage from salt.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.