hayward heater hd135id error code bd

rknerem

Apr 15, 2023
Parma, OH
I have a hayward hd135id heater. I had to replace the heat exchanger after only 2 years. After this I get a bd error code. When I reassembled the heater and plugged it in the fan came on immmediately and ran for about 10 seconds and shut off, but there was no display. Iopened it again and checked the display ribbon cable and it is slightly loose at the board. I pressed it in again and then restarted the heater, the display came on and shwed 64 degrees for roughly 5 seconds and tripped the bd error code. The fan never turned on before the code was kicked out. checking the ribbon cable again caused it to kick out a CE code and the fan came on the same way as earlier. pushing in the cable again cleared the CE code but no fan and kicked put the bd code. So, when the display iworking correctly, no fan and bd code. When the display is off or CE code the fan comes on at stsrtup. Could a bad ribbon cable cause a bd code? Is the fan supposed to come on when plugged in?
any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks Rich.

Did you measure voltage at the E10 connector?

yes, 112 v at E10. Transformer output is good. Resistance across ignitor is good. hecked continuity on all pins of the ribbon cable to the display. The fan works (when the display is disconnected). Tested the vacuum switch for the fan and it works. I found out the bd code is kicking because the fan is not coming on at startup. I did this by disconnecting the vacuum switch and putting a jumper wire between. This took away the code, but, nothing happens because the fan is not working. So, the fan works when the display is disconnected, doesn't work when the display is connected. The manual says that the gas valve can cause this code (being open when its not supposed to be, or closed when its not supposed to be). Is there a way to test the operation of the gas valve? I know it can be a bad board, but its a pretty costly part to just buy and hope it works.

yes, 112 v at E10. Transformer output is good. Resistance across ignitor is good. hecked continuity on all pins of the ribbon cable to the display. The fan works (when the display is disconnected). Tested the vacuum switch for the fan and it works. I found out the bd code is kicking because the fan is not coming on at startup. I did this by disconnecting the vacuum switch and putting a jumper wire between. This took away the code, but, nothing happens because the fan is not working. So, the fan works when the display is disconnected, doesn't work when the display is connected. The manual says that the gas valve can cause this code (being open when its not supposed to be, or closed when its not supposed to be). Is there a way to test the operation of the gas valve? I know it can be a bad board, but its a pretty costly part to just buy and hope it works.
At some point in the try for ignition there should be 24vac at the terminals of the gas valve. If you get that reading and don't hear the "click" of the valve opening the valve indicates as bad. If you never see voltage at the valve the issue is somewhere in the control.
If you do hear the valve open, check to be sure any manual valve in front of the heater is open. You'd be surprised how many times someone shuts that valve and forgets.

Unplugged the leads to the gas valve with display connected, attached multimeter, unplugged heater, plugged in heater, no fan, no voltage to gas valve. Repeated with display disconnected, fan comes on, no voltage to gas valve. Gas valve in basement is open. output at transformer 25.7v.

Attachments

• 20230416_145418.jpg
    20230416_145418.jpg
    692.8 KB · Views: 7
  • 20230416_150401.jpg
    20230416_150401.jpg
    490.3 KB · Views: 7

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.