Santa Clarita
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Turbo Cell (T-CELL-5)
Hello! We have a new pool (~6 weeks old, filled 3/01). I’ve been fighting down the PB’s lackadaisical attention to chemistry and almost have everything where it should be thanks to pool school, your tips, and the awesome folks at the local non-chain pool store. It’s looking great, the water feels great, and we waited the agonizing 4 weeks brushing and brushing the pool before heating the hot tub up. Now we’ve been in the hot tub several times and I’ve noticed the heater seeps water seemingly through the bottom when it’s heating - ONLY when it’s heating. There is *NOT* a heater bypass valve so water is always running through the heater whether it is on or not. The concrete around the heater is starting to turn green which tells me there may be a copper problem. As added information we are in a new-build home 1 year old with mostly PEX plumbing, although I believe the pipes to the outside taps used to fill the pool are copper.

DH and I have been swimming or in the hot tub every day for the last ~10 days. No trace of green hair or nails or other telltale signs of high copper content.

Looking for a place in the area to get a total copper test to see what that may tell me.

Is this normal for a new heater? Is the heat exchanger possibly damaged? Why does it only leak when heating and not when the pump is running and the heater is idle? 🤔

I will bring it up to the PB when he stops by as they have some other finishing work to do, but curious what everyone’s take is here.

Thank you!

Attachments

• 133C1A21-09AC-4ED3-B4CE-25C51DBD5AA4.jpeg
    133C1A21-09AC-4ED3-B4CE-25C51DBD5AA4.jpeg
    755.9 KB · Views: 7
I think your heater has a leak. The water looks green from algae and mildew growing in the wet area.

I doubt you have a copper problem.

Reactions: devinedaybreak
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.