Hayward H400FDN heat exchanger leak with steam/smoke

Murray16

Gold Supporter
Silver Supporter
Mar 30, 2016
Baltimore, MD
Hello,

I have a Hayward H400FDN that I'm pretty sure has a leaking heat exchanger. A few days ago I started getting an IF (ignition failure) code and there was a little bit of steam coming out of the unit. We had been having a lot of rain so I chalked the steam up to that. The IF code has gone away and the heater does fire up, but now it seems to steam/smoke whenever it's on and I've noticed some water beneath the heater now that the rain has stopped.

I've done some searching and this seems to be a common issue with Hayward heaters. Is it safe to run with it steaming off leaking water most of the time? I'm going to plan on replacing this unit, but just wondering if it's safe to use. I haven't ran it for more than 15 minutes or so like this so not sure if the steam eventually burns off.

Well if you want to run the heater into the ground you can keep on running it until the safety sendors shut it down. It will begin wasting gas and water and being ineffective at heating the pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.