Hayward H250 heater - temperature limit sensor failed

TheWulf

May 13, 2022
Canada
One of my temp limit sensors failed last week on my pool heater. It failed "closed", so the heater basically errored out and stopped heating.

It seems this heater has 2 of these sensors wired in series. The failed sensor is currently bypassed but I'm curious as to whether or not these sensors can fail "open" as well as that could be an issue with just the one sensor.

This is a pretty old heater (15 years) and the repair quote was pretty high considering it's just a sensor, so my options are
- Have the sensor replaced with a new one (~$400)
- DIY with Amazon parts ($80)
- Let it ride on one sensor until something goes wrong then do one of the above

I know what the correct answer is since obviously there's a redundancy for a reason in the design, but I'm curious to see if anyone has had one of these sensors fail in the "open" mode or what the other common failures are that I can look forward to in a heater this age. There are a few condensation drips on the inside (minor) so I'm hesitant to pump too much money into it.

Welcome to TFP.

Are you talking about the high limit switches or the temperature limit switches?

1689120784911.png

1689120825425.png

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.