Hayward H200 pool heater

I hook the transformer right to the gas value and it comes on. I unscrewed the igniter bracket and took it out and turn the unit on there is a spark momentarily between the two rods. Is it suppose to glow red?

No offense, but you are doing things that could potentially backfire on you. Why would you apply power directly to the gas valve? Did you shut off the gas and disconnect the ignitor first so it wouldn't try to spark? Did you use a volt meter to confirm you had power coming from the control board to the valve?

No, on this unit the ignitor does not glow red. It is a spark ignition. Did you shut the gas off when you took the ignitor out to do this?

I suspect you have an issue with the control board which is located on the back of the bezel. If you don't want to take a chance and buy one to see, then I would highly suggest you hire a company to come out and look this unit over and hopefully they have the parts that they can swap a board in and go from there. Keep in mind though, most likely they will sell you the entire part and not just the board because as I mentioned earlier, Hayward doesn't sell it by the piece, board and keypad separately. They sell it as all one unit. A few messages back I had suggested you buy a new bezel which would have included the board and the keypad. Yes I know you were looking at the price and didn't want to spend a bunch of money but I think I was providing you the best answer given my experience with these units. Yes I also said it could be the gas valve because it could be. However, a tech can determine this with a volt meter as mentioned above.

How can it back fire? I applied power to the gas value to see if it works. If it works with power applied the gas valve can't be the problem then. Applying power to gas value doesn't not spark the ignitor. The ignitor has two function to my knowledge. Light and to sense a flame. HF code means the ignitor not sensing a flame. So the second part of the ignitor might not be work or ICB. Which you said. So, It's either board or ignitor. Manual says to replace ignitor. So I ordered a new ignitor. I have a few volt meter. plus I have a degree in electronic engineering.

You can not test a flame sensor circuit unless you have flame. Fortunately igniters are a work or don't work situation as are the flame sensors. While it is good to chase out all possible components in these instead of blindly changing parts, I will have to agree with Paul that you most likely will have to change out the control board. I don't work on as many pool heaters as he does, but I do work on a lot of house heating systems all winter long and, in most cases, the control board is what is bad. I wish I thought to take a picture of the box I got rid of last week with all of the bad control boards in it from this past winter alone.

Dan

IF is the code on this unit for a failed flame sense. The unit actually has to light and then within 4 seconds if it does not sense flame will shut down and retry it again. It will do this three times and then display the IF code.

Here is a thread you might want to read thru where the owner had the HF error code.
Hayward H400ED2 heater code HF - Page 2

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.