HAYWARD H-Series Gas Heater_Mode Button

jumpin

Apr 29, 2014
tampa, fl
im having trouble starting my heater. please see issue below, any thoughts/ ideas appreciated. thx
its a 6 year old in-ground pool, 10000 gals, sw pool, natural gas heater.
when pump is on the standby light is on and heater looks happy. i press the mode switch to start heater and nothing happens.
when pump is off the service light and standby light are on and LO is displayed.

Here is the technical service manual for the Hayward H Series Heaters

https://www.hayward-pool.com/pdf/manuals/UniversalH-seriesLowNOx-HxxxFDService&Installation.pdf

Lo means:

Limit string open error If the limit string opens the heater shuts down and goes into lockout. Automatic
restart is 2 minutes after the error condition is corrected and the limit string
closes. See page 53 of manual above.

Paul, I was going to reopen my thread on this bc this is exactly where I am now. You are correct putting it into the spa mode, then it works. However, I never had to do this before it was "grouped" together when a Hayward rep came out to replace a 15 mo. old VSP pump.

What do I have to do to get it back into the mode of not having to go to the heater to get it to work? this all happened when I accidentally hit an icon on my remote in error and it shut down the pump, thus shutting down the heater.

Thank you,
tstex

Here is the technical service manual for the Hayward H Series Heaters

https://www.hayward-pool.com/pdf/manuals/UniversalH-seriesLowNOx-HxxxFDService&Installation.pdf

Lo means:

Limit string open error If the limit string opens the heater shuts down and goes into lockout. Automatic
restart is 2 minutes after the error condition is corrected and the limit string
closes. See page 53 of manual above.

Paul, I was going to reopen my thread on this bc this is exactly where I am now. You are correct putting it into the spa mode, then it works. However, I never had to do this before it was "grouped" together when a Hayward rep came out to replace a 15 mo. old VSP pump.

What do I have to do to get it back into the mode of not having to go to the heater to get it to work? this all happened when I accidentally hit an icon on my remote in error and it shut down the pump, thus shutting down the heater.

Thank you,
tstex

LO 99% of the time means that the unit is not receiving enough water pressure to activate the system. The limit option the book speaks of happens rarely.

Sounds like you need to go thru your settings in the automation to re setup the heater.

"LO 99% of the time means that the unit is not receiving enough water pressure to activate the system. The limit option the book speaks of happens rarely.

Sounds like you need to go thru your settings in the automation to re setup the heater."

Thanks Paul. What I am trying to do is to get out of the current cycle and back to where it was before the automation error occurred. I have not recreated the automation error again by punching the wrong button, I just cannot get the heater to come on at all w out user intervention at the heater key pad. Before the tech automated the groupings, I would hit "SPA", then "Filter" and wait 10-15 seconds to ensure the pump was going at full speed, then hit "heater 1", and it 4-5 seconds you would hear the heater fire-up.

To conclude, I am not sure if since this error has occurred once, that you have to go back to prior non-grouping/thus automation to get it to work like it used to, or if there is a way now w out having to change the groupings/automation....thanks again.

Jump,

Go to your panel and put in spa mode, then hit filter/pump....once it is going, then engage the heater....if nothing happens, hit the "mode" button to SPA. then if you have to do so, go back and turn on the heater again once it's in SPA mode via its display...tstex

thanke tstex,
i dont have a panel, just direct buttons on each component. with the pump on i press mode on the heater and nothing happens.... its like the button doesnt work anymore. it presses in like normal but no response. i took the button panel off to look for damage or corrosion, it looks fine. i removed and reattached all the connectors i could find, still no luck.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Sounds like the keypad and or system board are bad. Hopefully just the keypad. You should be able to find one and replace it and see if that takes care of it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.