Hayward Gas Heater Stuck in Standby

BrashL

Apr 5, 2023
Chicago, IL
Hi all, looking for some help here.

I have a Hayward gas heater controlled by an Aqualink RS8 and for the past week I can't get it out of standby. It isn't showing any errors, just a blinking standby light. The Aqualink controller shows the heater on (spa and pool) and correctly reads water temperature but nothing happens at the heater.

I had issues last year with the heater and replaced the flame sensor and heating element to correct them but the issue in those cases was the heater starting the heating process and then stopping midway through. Now I get no response at all. I looked for burnt or damaged wires and tested all the fuses but I'm out of ideas of what else could be going on or how to troubleshoot.

Any and all help appreciated. Thanks!

Update: I had the pool maintenance folks out as I was out of ideas and they spent about and hour and a half and couldn't fix it either. They said I should probably just a get a new heater but at $6K I'd really like to exhaust my options. Would it be worth spending a few hundred to buy all new control boards or am I throwing good money after bad?

Update: I had the pool maintenance folks out as I was out of ideas and they spent about and hour and a half and couldn't fix it either. They said I should probably just a get a new heater but at $6K I'd really like to exhaust my options. Would it be worth spending a few hundred to buy all new control boards or am I throwing good money after bad?
Which heater are you talking about? How old? Is the touchpad damaged?

Its a Hayward H350FDN, not sure how old it is but I think that models discontinued. I can open it up and look for a date. My original problem was a flashing standby light with no startup. After these guys were messing with it, the panel blinks standby twice, then flashes CE for a second with the service light, then back to standby and loop.

Its a Hayward H350FDN, not sure how old it is but I think that models discontinued. I can open it up and look for a date. My original problem was a flashing standby light with no startup. After these guys were messing with it, the panel blinks standby twice, then flashes CE for a second with the service light, then back to standby and loop.
If the following has been done or tried (from the manual):
"bO This is normal display when heater is being controlled by a remote thermostat. No service is required. If heater is not being controlled by remote thermostat, change setting by using the MODE key to put the heater into STANDBY. Press and hold the DOWN key and then press and hold the MODE key. Hold down both keys for 3 seconds until the indication ‘‘bO’’ is removed from the display."
Then it could be this (again from the manual):
CE Communication Error between Control Module and Display Interface Assembly. Inspect Display Interface Wiring. Ensure Display Interface Plug is securely attached to Control Module.
Control Module and/or Display Interface Assembly are defective. Replace Control Module and/or Display Interface Assembly.
All three boards are about $1000.00.