Hayward EcoStar SP3400 VSP

tbowker

Oct 31, 2022
Canton, GA
Hi,

I have Hayward EcoStar variable speed pump model #SP3400 VSP. I was outside working and heard a strange noise and the pump stalled. It is 5-6 years old. A little online research and determined the motor needed to be replaced. Sure enough, it had completely seized, the seal had been compromised and water had gotten into the motor housing. I replaced with new Ecostar motor assembly, part number SPX3400Z1ECM.

Now, I still get the "pump stalled" error. I have had this problem before with air in the line and unable to prime it properly. It makes a brief vibrating sound when it tries to start, then I get the warning message. Cycles through that several times.

I hope I don't also need a drive. It is an expensive part. Any thoughts on other things to try?

Thanks

Hello tbow, you should be focused on the Ten vs Ga game this weekend, not pumps. Welcome to TFP !!!

Wish I had better news, but you will prob need a new drive too ($$$$). One thing people try is turning off the power for 10-20 mins. This means turning off at the circuit breaker.

Since your pump is 5-6 yrs old, and for an ecostar, that's pretty old. If you want to keep that pump, I would ping all pool contacts you have to see if you can find a working drive that is on a non-installed E-star...I would not spend the $500-$600 on a new one, I would go w another pump for sure. You can try, but plead your case w Hayward Corp and see if they can sell you a used refurbished one.

Finally, if you look at the bottom of my post, you can see what type of equipment I have posted in my signature area. Pls do this. It helps to answer your questions. Do you have automation? if not, you can buy any VSP, preferably a pentair VSP...

Good luck

PS - those motor assemblies are not cheap either. If you do need a controller, as mentioned, I would not buy a new one, AND see if you can return the motor assembly or take a restocking charge. Those drives can be $700-$800...w a $600 motor assembly, you're already at a new pump....

Last edited:
Hi,

I have Hayward EcoStar variable speed pump model #SP3400 VSP. I was outside working and heard a strange noise and the pump stalled. It is 5-6 years old. A little online research and determined the motor needed to be replaced. Sure enough, it had completely seized, the seal had been compromised and water had gotten into the motor housing. I replaced with new Ecostar motor assembly, part number SPX3400Z1ECM.

Now, I still get the "pump stalled" error. I have had this problem before with air in the line and unable to prime it properly. It makes a brief vibrating sound when it tries to start, then I get the warning message. Cycles through that several times.

I hope I don't also need a drive. It is an expensive part. Any thoughts on other things to try?

Thanks
Might try this:

Reactions: guinness and tstex
Might try this:
tbow, poolman gave you another great option. I have not used this company, but ck into what a 1 yr warranty means: return policy, how it is the problem diagnosed, how long are the repairs, etc], $250 is much less than $600-$700. But, if you can return the motor assembly, I would go that route and use your $800-$900 to invest in a new pump w a 3-4 yr warranty. good luck

Hi,

Thanks
Thanks guys! I watched a Drive repair video and that does not look like fun. It's a shame because with the ProLogic we really don't use the computer in the drive, just power for the motor. I've already installed the new motor. And since I have the ProLogic, at this point I'm probably stuck buying a drive. I'd consider repair but not sure about turn around time. I'm already about 4 weeks into down time, using tabs and running the other pump but it's turning green. So I'll be about $1500 in total... $600 motor, $800 drive and $100 seals/parts. Still better than the $2500+ I was quoted.

I tried changing my signature - hopefully it shows up below.

Reactions: tstex
Hi,

Thanks
Looks like we have a very similar setup. Thanks for the advice!

Thanks guys! I watched a Drive repair video and that does not look like fun. It's a shame because with the ProLogic we really don't use the computer in the drive, just power for the motor. I've already installed the new motor. And since I have the ProLogic, at this point I'm probably stuck buying a drive. I'd consider repair but not sure about turn around time. I'm already about 4 weeks into down time, using tabs and running the other pump but it's turning green. So I'll be about $1500 in total... $600 motor, $800 drive and $100 seals/parts. Still better than the $2500+ I was quoted.

I tried changing my signature - hopefully it shows up below.
$2500 to install another EcoStar or tristar 2.7 is very steep. The plumbing w unions are the same, same wire changes, etc. it’s exact plug n play. I would obtain 2-3 more quotes.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.