Hayward EC40 Leaking Out Pump

clarkekv

Gold Supporter
Jun 1, 2011
Hi TFP... Kindly assist. I just opened for the season my existing 18 RD ABG with a Hayward EC40C92STL filter. After filling it up and connecting everything I turned on the pump. I noticed water coming out of the pump engine right by the switch on the pump. Obviously not good. Eventually the breaker tripped and everything shut off. In the pump I can see some DE as the water is cloudy. I am assuming when I winterized I also replaced the check valve. Would a inappropriately mounted check valve cause this?

See the picture of switch on pump where water was exiting. Additional pictures of the pump itself.

Attachments

• 20210521_083203.jpg
    20210521_083203.jpg
    803.9 KB · Views: 5
  • 20210521_102040.jpg
    20210521_102040.jpg
    606.3 KB · Views: 5
  • 20210521_102053.jpg
    20210521_102053.jpg
    443.3 KB · Views: 5
  • 20210521_102425.jpg
    20210521_102425.jpg
    543.1 KB · Views: 5
I'm betting that the pump seal leaked. This would allow the water to travel down the motor shaft and toward the area you show it dripping from. Definitely an unsafe condition, I would not run it until after you've repaired the pump.
If you're familiar with the procedure or relatively handy, it's not a very hard task. I'm unsure about the availability of rebuild kits given today's (COVID) current climate.
Rebuild video: YouTube

The DE getting back into the pump basket could very well be due to the check valve. They're not true check valves but a piece of rubber with a weight on them. I've had to replace these several times. Usually where the weight is attached to the rubber erodes, and the weight falls to the bottom of the filter housing. As long as you replaced the snap-ring (plastic part that clicks into groove holding the check valve support in place) when you reassembled (mine unit also has a clear plastic Flow Controller that is installed in the housing).
video available here: YouTube

Best of luck in your repair.

Last edited:
@Panzer... Thank you so much Panzer!! Really appreciate your support and advice.

@TFP... I ordered Hayward SPXHKIT12 and for good measure a Hayward SPX1500KA in case something isn't right with the either order for SP1592 series pump (SP15921TLNP). Panzer has supplied a video link to replace pump seal however I'm not the most mechanically inclined person so... if anyone knows of someone in the Long Island NY area that would replace a seal on a Hayward ABG pump please let me know. Else I'm attempt doing it myself and lol who knows if I'll have a pump afterwards.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.