Hayward DE Filter Head is Cracked

perryy

Aug 7, 2007
NC
I screwed up badly. When I closed the pool last year, I failed to drain the filter. So, the head has a big crack. It's a Hayward DE3600 and the head part is discontinued. An exhaustive search on the web did not turn up the part (DEX3600BT). So, I am open to any suggestions. It's Saturday and I assume Hayward support is not available.

So, my questions are:
-Does anyone know where I can find a replacement head?
-If you think I will have to replace the filter, what do you recommend? Pool is ~20,000 gal. I get a fair amount of organic matter from pine trees and other trees. But with the DE3600, it has not required frequent servicing of the filter. I've been happy with the water quality using the DE filter and maintaining it myself, and don't think I'm interested in a sand filter. I know nothing about cartridge filters, but would that be a simpler or less expensive system?

Pump is Hayward 3/4 hp, single speed, and is relatively new, compared with the filter. Also have Hayward SWG.

Would a new filter require a new valve? I have the Purex Triton valve, 27-1141, 8/98, SM 10-2DE.

Help, please! And thanks.

Hayward makes a 36" pro grid DE filter. I don't know if the valve you have would fit. I think even if you were to find just the top to the filter the cost would be excessive. The top for the 24" filter is about 1/2 the cost of a new one.

Hayward makes a 36" pro grid DE filter. I don't know if the valve you have would fit. I think even if you were to find just the top to the filter the cost would be excessive. The top for the 24" filter is about 1/2 the cost of a new one.

I see in your signature that you went from a DE filter to a sand filter. I suppose if I were to do that I would have to get a stronger pump than my 3/4, and I would maybe spend as much as i would getting the DE filter ($535) and keeping my pump.

I’m ready to order a new filter. I’d appreciate any comments on my options. I’m replacing aged Hayward DE3600. My valve connections appear to be 2”.

I would like a quick solution. I uncovered the pool and discovered the filter cracked. So the options below are those I can get this week from Amazon.

Options I’m considering:
Hayward DE3620, $535 . I’ll also need a new valve: SP0715XR50 2-in. valve is $148 plus a few more $ for expedited shipping. Amazon has SP0710XR50 for $87 and 2-day delivery, but it has 1.5 inch connections, if I understand correctly. So, the DE alternative is about $700 for the 2-in valve version.

Hayward S244T ProSeries Sand Filter, 24-Inch, Top-Mount. Is $341 including a 1.5” valve.

Hayward S270T2 ProSeries Sand Filter, 27-Inch, Top-Mount with 2” valve is $430.

So, my questions are:
-Is there any disadvantage to the top-mount vs side-mount. Either will fit in my space.
-The only 24” sand filter I can get quickly is with 1.5 inch valve. The 27” comes with a 2-in valve. Will the 1.5” valve reduce performance, assuming I can adapt the plumbing?
-Is my 3/4 h.p. Hayward Superpump strong enough for the sand filters?

AND, I see I can get a Hayward 200 sq. ft. cartridge for $475. That looks attractive. Add a diverter valve for waste.

Thanks, guys

Last edited:
Your current pump should be fine for either type of filter. I was using a 2 speed 1 hp pump on low with my sand filter the last couple of seasons and it worked just fine. I had the same pump toward the end of my DE run. The only reason I switched over to sand was because I have a lot of fine debris in my pool and I was getting tired of breaking down the filter to clean it every couple of months! Backwashing is much easier!

You shouldn't notice a significant difference going from 2" to 1.5". The water may feel a little more forceful coming out of the return jet. There are reducer fittings you can get to attach your 2" pipes to a 1.5" valve.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.