The Villages, Florida
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite Pro (T-15)
Curious what others have seen with regards to longevity on the Hayward ColorLogic lights. I have a Hayward LPCUS11100, and my pool was completed in October of 2019 - so it's only a little over 3 years old... and just outside of warranty.

The other day we turned it on, it ran for about 5 minutes, then flickered out, back on, out and finally shut off. I went through normal debugging steps - checked OmniLogic, resynced light (and it came on during resync!), but it failed again. Then checked the transformer, no issues. Finally pulled the light to look at it, and it had about 2" of water inside it (should have started here :)).

This was the first time I checked on the price of one of these lights and was completely shocked - they are a fully sealed unit with no replaceable parts and cost between $900 and $1,100! For grins, I sent an email to Hayward support describing what went wrong and my warranty date. I was pleasantly surprised when they came back and are shipping me a new light! They did say there is no warranty on the replacement. Great customer service, but I am still concerned about longevity with these lights.

A light that is rated for 50,000 hours and is meant for a pool shouldn't leak after only 3 years.

When my new light comes in, I'm going to try and disassemble the old light and repair it. I'll post pics and steps if it works!

At this point in time, if this only only lasts 3 years, my next light will be from Florida SunSeeker - half the price with replaceable lights and gaskets. I'm interested in any other suggestions that folks here might have!

We have yet to hear about any LED pool lights that have long life spans.

But it is hard to know if a product will last 10 or 25 years when it has been on the market for less then that.

I think all pool LED light owners are part of a big beta test.

I have attached a photo of my old light – it’s pretty obvious to see where the light leaked. There is some type of small plug that just appears to stick to the back of the light and covers a hole. This plug came loose and allowed water to enter. Now that I’ve seem this, I think I will pull the new light out, and apply caulk over this area to ensure it doesn’t happen to the new one.

This is a pretty big design flaw to me. I also sent these pics to Hayward.

PXL_20230504_140207149.jpg
PXL_20230504_140216949.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: stonecoldsober
I have Spa Electrics ATOM lights and have lost two to water incursion in the first year. I'm tempted to pull them out and apply marine epoxy to the joints.

Following up. The new light has the exact same type of plug attached with adhesive with a hole under it - my guess is that it will fail in the same manner after a period of time. I bought some marine specialty caulk, then completely covered the area with the caulk and let it dry before reinstalling the light. Hopefully, this will prevent the issue from occurring in this area again.

I have the same pictures to share as PoolBrews. 4 years old. glued in plug failed, light is filled with water...replaced with sunseeker. done. working on hayward 160/320 replacement now. also failed after 4 yrs. not gonna use hayward thats for sure.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.