Hayward Aquarite low salt chlorinator - Help with cell selection

PLB27

May 7, 2024
Canada
Hello everyone!

Purchased a home with an inground pool two years ago so I'm still new to some of the maintenance and products.

The pool is equiped with an Hayward Aquarite "low salt" chlorinator. I am in Canada where this version is sold.

The cell is now 7 years old and just wanted to get ready for when it dies. I am currently running on an "old" t-cell-ls9-cul which is the equivalent of a Turbo cell 9 but for the low salt version of the Aquarite panel. At least, that is my understanding.

My question is : can I replace the low salt cell with a regular turbo cell 9? The dedicated low salt version of the cell is 300-400 more expensive than the "regular" one.

I'm thinking the regular cell would work fine as it is probably the board that makes it low salt, not the cell. Am I wrong? Would appreciate any other input

Thank you!

Welcome to TFP.

Low salt cells are simply larger cells run at reduced output.

A t-cell-ls9-cul is a relabeled T-15 and costs as much as a T-15 due to the plate sizes.

A regular T-9 does not have the plate size to give the same chlorine output as the t-cell-ls9-cul.

You can change your controller to run in regular salt mode with a T-9 cell.

How many gallons in your pool?

Welcome to TFP.

A t-cell-ls9-cul is a relabeled T-15 and costs as much as a T-15 due to the plate sizes.

A regular T-9 does not have the plate size to give the same chlorine output as the t-cell-ls9-cul.

Thank you!

My pool is an inground with 25k gallons!

Welcome to TFP.

Does a Hayward Low Salt cell have to run on a Low Salt controller or can it be used on regular AquaRite/SwimPure+/AquaLogic controllers?

Does a Hayward Low Salt cell have to run on a Low Salt controller or can it be used on regular AquaRite/SwimPure+/AquaLogic controllers?
Hayward has started chipping their cells. I don't know if a low salt cell is any more then a label on a regular cell.

We have no reports yet of folks connecting a low salt cell to a regular controller.