Hayward Aquaplus controller operates intermittently.

jboss

Oct 2, 2013
Lady Lake, FL
I have an AquaPlus controller with intermittent Comm Error 2 (nothing runs) and Comm Error 3 (pool runs but nothing displayed on local display)

I reviewed the "ProLogic: Troubleshooting video and performed diagnostics --

While in faulted state, with power on:
Yellow to Yellow = 20-24VAC (good)

---turned Power off

Blue - White = 3 ohms (good?) ...supposed to be 2-2.9?
Violet - Grey = 2.5 ohms

--- turned Power on -- powered up and ran for 20 mins before faulting out again

Orange - Orange = 2VAC (bad) ... but something clicked while testing, voltage jumped to 24VAC and faults cleared
... waited for fault to occur again ... could not replicate low voltage condition on Orange - Orange, it read 24VAC in faulted state

Red - Black = 11 VDC
Local Display Pins 1 - 3 = 11 VDC
... pump started while testing pins, with local display disconnected.
... wifi-remote display showed pool temps Etc. as expected for about 10 minutes
... wifi-remote went to "base station not responding" ... pool continued running for 10 minutes then shutdown (all without local display installed)
... took additional readings while it was shut down ...
(assumed to be in faulted state
Yellow to Yellow = 24 VAC
Orange to Orange = 2.5 - 3.5 VAC (fuse tests good)
Red to Black = 4.5 VDC (not surprising DC out is low given AC into rectifiers is low)
Pin 1-3 = 10.9 VDC
... pump starts back up, Orange to Orange voltage remains at 3VAC momentarily, then returns to 24VAC.

(Note: Pump is an ECOSTAR VSP with no timers locally set. ... wifi remote display has shown VSP Comm Error for over a year, with no operational issues noticed (not sure if this could be somehow related)

I believe I have an intermittent ground or short somewhere, but not sure where ... I haven't seen any of the "...shorted" or "...grounded" errors on the display.

...if there is any way to get some further suggestions, it would be much appreciated ... over the 18 months I have owned the pool (new construction) I have replaced several main boards, several displays, at least one wifi antenna ... and continue to have sporadic issues ... I believe I have an underlying wiring issue that is causing parts to fail prematurely.

...can the transformer overheat? it is generally too hot to touch ... i’ve Never seen a transformer get this hot unless it was overloaded/failing.

Please help ... I’m tired if sinking time and money into this issue ...and my pool installer is no help ...just saves me time and costs me more money ... but still doesn’t fix it.

I’m wondering if lightning damaged my transformer a year ago when i started having trouble (before i had whole house surgesuppressor) ... and the subsequent issues have been because of that ... or if I’m going to have recurring lightning issues due to my setup. ... i’ve added surge suppression and ground rods ... but still have intermittent issues

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.