Having water flow issues opening inground pool

gdog2004

Jul 19, 2011
Lehigh Valley, PA
Hello TFP! Pool time is on us once again and I have a few issues I am hoping one of you can help me with.
I opened my mostly BLUE pool the other day :) I made sure the temp never got over 52 degrees. I unplugged the returns and took the gizmo out of the skimmer. I filled the pool up to about 1/4 way up the skimmer (adding more water now).
I plugged one of the drain plug on my pump (the other has a ground wire for the water and is already plugged). I screwed in the pressure gauge. I put the filter on recirculate and opened the drain on the sand filter. No water came out. Hmmm...OK.
I added some water in the pump basket to prime it a bit, sealed it up, and turned on the pump. Nothing.
I added some more water and some water started to pump thru system and the gauge went to about 10 but then it quickly went back down to zero. I don't HEAR any air leaks. Not sure what the issue may be, but am open to suggestions.
How long can I run the pump with the basket having no water ? I didn't have this issue last year, so not sure what could be causing the problem. I am assuming if I had any cracked pipes underground from our winter freeze here in PA (which lasted weeks) I would not see the water pressure jump to 12 even ONCE...but I am just assuming here.
Maybe the water level isn't high enough ? I am adding more as we speak.
Thanks in advance for any replies :)

Last edited:
Pic of your pad. When my pool is winterized the suction valves are closed off. This requires unscrewing the thumb screw and lifting the handle to shut off the intake totally.

Pic of your pad. When my pool is winterized the suction valves are closed off. This requires unscrewing the thumb screw and lifting the handle to shut off the intake totally.
I only have the pump, filter, 2 returns and one skimmer. Not sure what you are referring to. Anyway, looks like it works now. Raising the water level a bit so it is closer to half up on the skimmer did the trick.

PoolPad.jpg

Ah ok I was looking for a valve that could have been cutting off your suction side from the pool but it looks like you don't have one so good to go. With low skimmer level it could have been that the skimmer was sucking air. Glad it is working!

Reactions: gdog2004
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.