Have to replace Solar heaters with Fafco Sunsaver or ST. Decision help please.

Russmd

May 14, 2013
Los Angeles, CA
Hello, I've been reading a number of threads on solar pool heater panels and saw a lot of information. I've also gleaned a lot of data from various websites.
I live in Camarillo, CA, near Ventura. Nice temperate weather but occasionally some pretty gusty Santa Anna winds. After 14 good years, the Suntrek panels (installed before I moved in) suffered the Black death and I had to replace them three years ago. I did a lot of research and talking to my local reputed expert, decided to go with Fafco Sunsaver. I can't remember exactly what happened back then but it wasn't until recently I realized they had installed the ST separated tube panels. I know the flat panels are better performing, especially in our area given that we have a lot of mid-season temperate weather. If it was an error, it was mine for not checking because ST's are on my invoice. Anyway, since year 2, I started getting a number of small pinhole leaks in the microtubes with streams of water coming off the roof. I fixed some but hate getting on the roof; the company wants $200 a pop to roll the truck and fix. I can only expect it will get worse. I contacted FAFCO directly and spoke with VP Alex Ward - very nice guy - offered to honor their warranty and replace ALL my panels (#15- 660sf) - but I have to cover the labor. I asked about Sunsaver vs ST and he offered to supply me with either. I spoke to my installer about this and he told me about the increased roof penetrations with the flat panels. I have a flat, composite tile roof. I'm trying to decide which to go with - the Sunsaver with added efficiency in my area but more penetrations, or the ST which is already there but probably will leak again. Any pearls of wisdom to help me decide? Thanks,
Russ Erman

PLEASE- I'm getting free warranty replacements from FAFCO; Sunsavers or ST's. Let's not turn this into I should be getting a different panel brand. Thanks.

I would try to find out if wind might be a factor in your case. I remember that wind load was a concern of mine, and that the panels I purchased came with spec's directly related to how much wind they could handle. (So far, so good.). Just guessing, but it seems like a solid, flat panel would be more susceptible to wind loads than the tubes (which I should think allow some amount of wind to flow through them). So I would add the question of wind load accommodation to your survey of which panels are best for your house. Does Fafco offer wind load spec's for their products?

#2: While it's good that the manufacturer is standing behind their product, and I'm sure that their warranty stipulates the bit about the "labor not included," but pin holes within two years doesn't seem reasonable to me. I would be more insistent that they cover some or all of the labor. May be a thin chance, but the squeeky wheel gets the grease. Part 2b: I agree with you, in that it's safe to assume that you'd be in for more of this with the existing panels. But was this just a bad batch, or a bad product in general? I would scour the 'net to see if others are having this problem, and add the results of your searching as another factor in your decision making process.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.