Have to have! Wish I had! Tell us about your pool.

I didn't build my pool as it came with the house, but here are the things that I would change or will change.

-Kidney shaped is a waste of space to me, egg shaped with the largeend the 4ft or deeper shallow end seems to be the most efficient use of space for many reasons.

-3 foot shallow end is too shallow, we all wish it was 4-5 feet deep.

-Skimmer on the same side as the prevailing wind direction for my area, its a no brainer it should be on the opposite side so stuff blows into it! DUH?

-The gas heater should be double the recommended size in Canada, it takes the same amount of gas to heat the pool but with a larger heater it takes half as long which actually saves energy if you think about it.

-Insulated rigid retractable pool cover, I am considering this a must have no matter what it costs extra...if you consider how time and energy you spend filtering dirt and scooping leaves or vacuuming that cover will look cheap, my time is worth money.

-Inground pools should have insulated sides like a Coleman Cooler in Canada, it will pay for itself in one season if you swim until its zero Celcius outside.

-The pool slide is a waste for us, all the kids that come over use it two or three times and then never again, a Baja sun step would get constant use by all of us.

-The shallow end should have a built in step at the proper depth to sit on and lounge with your feet out, you could then toss the silly fiberglass step insert and the space it takes up on the deck because you could walk in anywhere in the shallow end.

-A pebble look vinyl liner with some brown in it would hide dirt and debris better, my light colored baby blue liner shows every speck and I am constantly sucking up every tiny bit out when I am in there. I may be a little retentive about how clean my pool is but seriously...is there a worse color than baby blue for showing dirt? Guess what my next liner is going to look like?

Things I like about my pool:
Salt generator
Pavers for decking
Solar heating
Cartidge filter

Things I would do differently:
Make pool contractor responsible for all work.
Use larger pool automation system
Run seperate piping for each return and each suction line.
Install two speed pump (I changed the motor shortly after installation was completed).
Move location of pool cleaner port to a more central location.

4JawChuck said:
I didn't build my pool as it came with the house, but here are the things that I would change or will change.
-3 foot shallow end is too shallow, we all wish it was 4-5 feet deep.
-The pool slide is a waste for us, all the kids that come over use it two or three times and then never again, a Baja sun step would get constant use by all of us....?

Hi - question, regarding the two comments above. What size children are finding the pool slide boring? Teenagers? 5-10 year olds? We are considering a slide, but worry our kids will find it boring. And same with the 4-5 foot deep end vs. 3 foot - why do you wish it were 4-5 feet deep?

thx!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.