Have I damaged anything?

The booklet itself wreaks of a chemical. Reminds me of something from my childhood. Trying to remember. WAIT… I know. It smells like vintage black markers. What is that? Xylene or something like that?

I noticed my Taylor kit developed a smell after awhile. I never had issues with reagents/testing though.

Weird thing is that it’s the booklet that smells strong, and it’s dry suggesting that the contamination was some time ago… perhaps from another kit.
Maybe put the book in a ziplock (or chunk it) & wipe everything else down really good.
After you get used to testing you really don’t reference the instructions much.
You can print more instructions.
I would certainly contact the seller - you paid a pretty penny for it I’m sure!

Last edited:
The spa is fine, but watch out for your lungs and skin. Fiberglass is way more durable than people.
SO TRUE!!!

So it has been a week since the incident. I now understand that the chlorine in the spa was finally able to do its work due to the CYA levels finally being reasonable.

So there I was in my spa for some fifteen minutes with the jets running. I could smell something odd but I didn’t think much of it. The next day my lungs hurt/burned.

The sensation has gone down over time. It’s now been almost a week and though there is no more sensation, I do have this slight feeling that oxygen isn’t getting in as readily. Hard to explain. There’s no problem getting air in to my lungs but it feels like my lungs are more sensitive and aren’t functioning at full level. (Sorry for the vagueness, it is strange.)

I am asthmatic and so I know that it is not the entrance to the lungs but more the lungs themselves. But… No pain at all. No shortness of breath. I mean, I’m writing this on an elliptical exercise machine so all seems fine kinda. I have called the local medical advice line. They agree that there is no emergency.

I have read that following mild exposure to chlorine gas and/or chloramines, it can take up to a couple of weeks for the lungs to go back to a base function level. I will presume no permanent damage. But it’s still a scary feeling when it is one’s lungs!

Anyone have a similar experience?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.