Hate my SWG system. What should I replace it with?

Safetybob said:
I thought I would put my two cents in. I had the Intex SWG....ya, it was OK but I still added like a cup of bleach to the pool after a weekend of swimming and playing to keep the levels perfect. I did not clean the cell and if I had to do it again with salt, a cleaning schedule would be in order.
Keep in mind that if you keep your csi properly maintained, then it is likely you will not have the acid clean the cell. Acid cleaning removes buildup but also life from the cell.

Before answering the size question, we need to see some test values to understand why you are having problems with your current cell. Post FC, CC, ph, TA, CH, and cya measurements. What is the volume of your pool?

I could not go without my SWG.

The first thing that comes to mind is ... can you pass an OCLT with it off? I'm wondering if you have an issue that's causing it to struggle.

Second, and I'd consider this less important as long as criteria 1 is good, is do you check your FC at least weekly? Even with an SWG, you still need to keep an eye on things.

These aren't meant to be directed at you, I'm just trying to help. :)

Current numbers aren't really relevant because the cell and the "tri-sensor" failed 3 weeks ago. Pool looks good at the moment due to tri-chlor tabs I've been using while I was out of town last week. PH is low (7.0) as a result but otherwise looks ok.

I asked about a larger cell because my pool always seems to be on the verge of disaster even with the SWG working. I don't have time to test the water multiple times per week. Volume is around 30,000 gallons.

That seems like a long run time even for your large pool.
What FC level were you targeting?
Do you get a lot of organic debris in the pool?
Was it in full sun? If yes, then you may benefit from going up a little in cya...maybe 80 ppm cya (or even 85 pmm)

I would guess you might need to raise your cya up a little then...if you decide to continue with a swg.

By the way at that run rate: 20hr/day *270 days * 2years= 10800 hours...10000 seems to be a common life for many swgs afaik. So if you do replace the cell, I would definitely step up in size.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Eight years ago I built my pool. It was designed and built to be a SWG pool. I had a pool at my previous home that was not a salt pool. All I can say is I would never give up my SWG. The original cell lasted about 7 1/!2 years before needing replacement. I have never had to shock my pool. The water remains crystal clear with a minimal effort on my part. I only need to test every few days and monitor my TA and pH to maintain a CSI very near zero, and it is all good. If my whole salt system were to fail today, I wouldn't hesitate to spend whatever necessary to replace it. I can't think of a system that would make it any easier to manage a pool.

SinistrV6 said:
Thanks. If (and that's a big IF) I replace my SWG parts, I'll try a larger cell and a higher cya level. Good info.

You really should knock your TA down from the 200 you posted on the first page. That is likely the big source of your woes. Seems like 70-80 TA works out a lot better for most folks.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.