Has anyone bought a solar cover recently they can recommend?

rdelisa

Bronze Supporter
Sep 16, 2017
Arvada
I just searched the threads on pool solar blankets and it confirms everything I've known my last 15 years as a pool owner. Here is what I know:
1. You're lucky to get more than 2 years of use from them.
2. Buying a thicker mil or premium isn't worth the extra cost. Stick with the cheapest 8-mil you can find.
3. The prices seem to have gone-up dramatically. They are one of the biggest rip-offs of owning a pool.

I need a 14 x 30ft (Usually only comes in 15 x 30 or 16 x 32)
Anyone know of any good deals they can share?

I'm not sure I would call them a ripoff. I would need to do a cost/benefit analysis of using a cover or not using a cover. The solar cover extends my pool season. There is value in that. The solar cover also reduces my heating costs by reducing the amount of evaporative cooling. Just offhand without running the numbers, I think I save more than I spend on the cover. I do agree the price is high for what essentially is plastic bubble wrap.

Reactions: 1Sammy and rdelisa
I'm not sure I would call them a ripoff. I would need to do a cost/benefit analysis of using a cover or not using a cover. The solar cover extends my pool season. There is value in that. The solar cover also reduces my heating costs by reducing the amount of evaporative cooling. Just offhand without running the numbers, I think I save more than I spend on the cover. I do agree the price is high for what essentially is plastic bubble wrap.
In a very literal sense, you are correct. If it was a total rip-off I wouldn't be paying over $100 every two years to replace them. Here in Colorado, my pool season usually goes from Late May to October 1st. That's at least 4 months of using the pool heater per year. On really hot days, the heater doesn't run at all with the solar cover on. I am pretty sure I am paying more than $100 per year in heating costs for the pool.

My solar cover saved me $300 a month in the warm months and $400 a month in the cool months in Heat Pump / electric costs. Similar would be seen with a gas heater. My cover on a reel lasted 5 seasons and paid for itself and the reel many times over. A solar cover is a must with a heater.

On top of that, half the years it helped extend the season by itself (heater off) on both ends when that years weather was favorable. It didn't matter on the cold years that the pool was 66 when it should have been 60. The cover still worked to its ability so no complaints.

Reactions: 1Sammy
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.