Has Anyone Been Successful with Baquacil?

Stillini

Apr 10, 2023
Westchester, NY USA
Hi Guys,

New here, looking forward to learning alot from you all! Just curious, I've seen all the negatives about Baquacil (and experienced the pink slime) but is there anyone who actually likes it and has any ideas on how to actually beat the pink slime? It's really my only issue with it and I would like to to stay with it if possible. Appreciate your feedback, thanks!

No, we only see Baqua as a one way street to a chlorine pool. People stick with it until it is too much trouble.

That bad huh? Yeesh. It seems great when its working but I don't have experience otherwise, still learning the ropes on pools. This may be a silly question but the TFP way of doing things, you avoid all the chlorine smell/burning eyes things of the past?

That bad huh? Yeesh. It seems great when its working but I don't have experience otherwise, still learning the ropes on pools. This may be a silly question but the TFP way of doing things, you avoid all the chlorine smell/burning eyes things of the past?
Yes!! But you should not smell the chlorine in the pool. If you get a whiff of that strong chlorine smell (you know…that smell at public pools), that means there’s a lot of CC (chlorine contaminants) in it and it’ll need SLAM’ed. We can discuss that process if you choose to move forward with the chlorine conversion! The burning eyes I believe is caused by pH being too low, but also could be from Chlorine Contaminants (exactly why I have a huge sign that says DO NOT PEE IN THE POOL lol) and other issues, but if the chlorine level is balanced and you keep your pH within acceptable range, there shouldn’t be any red or irritated eyes.

Last edited:
+1. That 'chlorine smell' is from mismanaged pools. It seems weird at first, but more chlorine means less (no) smell.

My own pool store, with shelves full of spendy chemicals to sell, told me that they only carried Baqua for a handful of longtime customers who requested it. They hardcore recommended against its use.

Welcome to TFP! My pool has never, ever smelled like chlorine and it does not burn your eyes (although you really shouldn't purposely get pool water in your eyes if you can help it). As stated above, you shouldn't really ever be smelling it.

We have one resident Baqua enthusiast (I'm saying this with all love lol), but outside of that we steer folks away from it and back to chlorine as it simply isn't worth the cost or hassle. Ultimately, the pink slime will always be an issue with a Baqua pool; you can minimize it, you can consistently fight it, but you'll never fully eliminate it.

Hey all! Just want to add my two cents for the OP. Welcome to TFP, I’m mainly a lurker here but I do enjoy reading the posts and occasionally saying hi. I’ve never had a large pool, but my 18’ round is just enough to eat all my spare time at home.

I’d always been familiar with the chlorine burn and smell and thought it was normal. I’ve been so thankful with the group of people here and the wealth of knowledge buried in these forums. I have followed all the directions to a T and loved the simplicity of the TFP way without the gimmicks from the pool stores.

You can imagine my surprise to find that swimming in my pool, with only a very, VERY, faint chlorine smell (almost like tap water) can almost lead one to believe they are doing something wrong because you almost expect the irritation! But the crystal clear water I have all season long is a huge reassurance that if the pool is cared for properly you will have safe sanitized water utilizing chlorine AND you will never experience the traditional chlorine problems that stem from mismanaged and dirty public pools. I’ve never once considered a chlorine alternative but I’ll NEVER use anything but after reading all the horror stories of baquacil and mineral pools.

I would highly recommend converting. Start by doing your research on here first. From what I’ve seen it’s an intensive process that (ironically) uses a lot of chlorine to do. But you will be in the best of hands and in the end you’ll see it was worth it.

Hi Guys,

New here, looking forward to learning alot from you all! Just curious, I've seen all the negatives about Baquacil (and experienced the pink slime) but is there anyone who actually likes it and has any ideas on how to actually beat the pink slime? It's really my only issue with it and I would like to to stay with it if possible. Appreciate your feedback, thanks!
I also am new here. We used bacquacil in our new above ground pool, after having had a chlorine pool for many years in another home. Never had problems with the chlorine but heard the baquacil products were better for skin and suits. Year one in new pool was a dream loved it. Year two was also good til right near closing time. we developed a little white mold. Closed it and cleaned our DE filter completely as always. Year three was same, great at start but developed white mold near end of season. Nobody at pool store could explain it. Year four 3/4 of way through season our filter started clogging. Cleaned it changed DE but it happened again and so we had a short season. Pool Store said the fingers in filter must have had a hole somewhere. So before start of new season we bought a new filter. Mind you in our past chlorine pool we never had a problem like that and the filter was quite old. Careful care made the old filter last. season five and white mold again appeared. I was careful with my levels and checked with pool store frequently but white mold again appeared. That's when I read this and many threads and apparently this and pink slime are a common baquacil problem. Also read it is problably what ruined the filter. So I recommend you go through the difficult steps of conversion. This site is extremely helpful. Be patient and stay strong.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Here's a great write up on the issues with Baquacil:

I was sitting with an inground pool customer last night that had owned her previous pool for about 19 years. It was a small, 12'x24' design with only about 7,000 gallons of water. She was in the process of tearing out her old pool and getting a new one, and when the subject of pool chemicals came up she mentioned to me that she had spent $700 this past summer to keep the water clear.

Before she even mentioned what type of chemical she had been using, I knew there was only one that could cost so much for such a small pool for just one summer: Baquacil.

Read more at:

m.

Hi Guys,

I used it for 12 years and liked it. The last about 3 years (maybe 4?) has been a pain. I’ve spent a ton of money and a lot of work trying to keep it going. This year I finally gave up. I started the season with another bad algae bloom and I’m just done.
I’m in the middle of converting now. Seems like it is taking forever but I’m committed to learning a whole new thing. I’m pretty well educated re: Baquacil and learning all new stuff has its challenges. I’m hoping I get where I want to be and truly have a “trouble free pool”.

I used it for 12 years and liked it. The last about 3 years (maybe 4?) has been a pain. I’ve spent a ton of money and a lot of work trying to keep it going. This year I finally gave up. I started the season with another bad algae bloom and I’m just done.
I’m in the middle of converting now. Seems like it is taking forever but I’m committed to learning a whole new thing. I’m pretty well educated re: Baquacil and learning all new stuff has its challenges. I’m hoping I get where I want to be and truly have a “trouble free pool”.
Start a conversion thread with photos of all the crazy color changes during the conversion. They’re so fun to see and it’ll show you how far your hard work got you!! How is the conversion going so far?
By the way, I looked at your signature and we have so much of the same stuff!! Haha

Reactions: katwhen31
Start a conversion thread with photos of all the crazy color changes during the conversion. They’re so fun to see and it’ll show you how far your hard work got you!! How is the conversion going so far?
By the way, I looked at your signature and we have so much of the same stuff!! Haha
I didn’t get a ton of colors. The first time I put in the chlorine it turned orangey but nothing exciting enough to photograph. All subsequent pours have caused varying degrees of yellowish or orangey but it goes away pretty fast. The water has been crystal clear the whole time and I haven’t had any “goo” to speak of. I did clean the filter and it was kind of dirty but nothing dramatic. I’ve brushed and vacuumed and just keep testing and pouring in chlorine. Fortunately there’s a Walmart about 10 minutes away that has the chlorine for $5.67. So pretty good price. I’m converting partly so I can stop pouring $$$$ into the pool but that’s not happening yet 🤣
So funny we have the same stuff. Where are the signatures? I know I set one up but don’t know where it went.

I’m converting partly so I can stop pouring $$$$ into the pool but that’s not happening yet 🤣
I was on the Mineral Springs turnip truck for 7 years. It was Baqua-esque in cost.

I saved $700 at startup alone this year by ditching it and the pool store. Hang in there and you will too.
Where are the signatures? I know I set one up but don’t know where it went.
On mobile you have to turn the device sideways and it pops up.

Came here to just say that I saw a commercial from my local pool store advertising that they sell everything I need to convert to Baquacil.

No, thanks.
That usually means boat loads of expensive mps & of course liquid chlorine if they sell it & maybe some expensive cal hypo thrown in. With usually no regard to how much cdx the pool has in it.
Many come here after using the “mps/non chlorine shock plan” thinking they have converted from baqua only to realize they really haven’t & they have a huge fc demand & need to drain/exchange most of their water.
Liquid chlorine & this guide are the answer. Heed the warning about water replacement first if cdx has been used. This saves time & money.

Came here to just say that I saw a commercial from my local pool store advertising that they sell everything I need to convert to Baquacil.

No, thanks.
Assuming you meant to say, "to convert to chlorine" (?) Other than to simply make money, not sure why a pool store would even suggest adding mps / non-chlorine shock as a means of beginning a conversion. What part of NON-chlorine shock don't they get? Speaking of which, though - in keeping with the title of the thread - using mps works real well as an addition to maintaining a baqua pool. It should definitely be part of the suggested regimen along with the other baqua chems, in my opinion anyway. CDX is, I feel, a bit of a gimmick and not really needed at least not on any sort of regular basis. It's sold as helping to "maintain a consistent oxidizer level". I've never found that it makes much difference.

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.