Hartford CT Demo - Updated: current status of build and some photos added via comments

Wntrequinx

May 20, 2021
Hartford, CT
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Update! ************

So we have the pool 95% done. We demo'd the old pool on the 20th of May, and it wasn't super hard. It made it seem like the rest of the process wouldn't be too bad.

While i had hoped to get the new pool up the 21st or 22nd, that was overly optimistic for a bunch of us who've never installed a pool, and were installing a pool over a spot where the last installers seemed to have cut a lot of corners. We spent the day on Saturday the 21st digging out where the old pool ring had been, and leveling 16 new pavers because we couldn't use any of the old pavers.

We also discovered that they didn't have 3 inches of sand under the old pool, so there was a lot of pulling out rocks of we went below the 1 inch of sand that was there. By dusk, we still hadn't done much except get those pavers leveled and even with each other (using a homemade water level!).

On Monday the 23rd we got the resin bottom ring installed and leveled.

On Tuesday the 24th we got the pool wall up, and staked, and adjusted the ring to fit it. Then we smoothed the sand under the pool and added some new to fill in where the foam coves were going.

It ended up taking until almost dusk to get the inside leveled (including a last minute run for 20 additional bags (1000lbs) of play sand, that made the inside floor just barely even around the edges of the pool. We would have needed at least a cubic yard of sand to fill the center hole of the old pool floor, so we left it there.

Then we rolled out the under-liner mat. The adhesive for the wall foam fought us but we managed to get it and the coves up just before it got dark. We had to use pieces of cardboard to protect the floor liner from getting sticky, wish we had done the wall foam before floor liner.

At that point, we got the liner in, but in the dark and coolness it was extra stiff, and it was pulling the pool walls out of shape in ways that were hard to see, so we made the decision to wait until the next day to put in the liner.

I took a risk and did not reinforce the pool walls because it was forecast to be very mild winds. I may have repeatedly checked on it because I was terrified it was going to get blown in, despite the garden stakes holding it up, but I was lucky and it stayed up fine.

On Wed the 25th we got the liner mostly in and filled it a few inches. I was not very precise and had to use the cover pump to lower it enough to move whole the liner over about 3 inches (I pushed too much to one side when I was getting the liner under the pool ladder, and the seam would have been 2 inches above the cove). Now I've got a bunch of wrinkles all over the bottom, because moving it also twisted it some. The wrinkles aren't very big, so I'm going to live with them.

In my effort to make every mistake along the way, my efforts to smooth the liner and get rid of wrinkles also led to a lot of unevenness in the sand base, where I moved it around while walking.

Anyway, we were able to fill it about 18 inches (24 in the center depression area)

We had it held up with the garden stakes and the liner just barely attached because i wanted the liner to soften and stretch some before I finalized securing it at the top.

The 1 foot plus of water was enough to lessen my fear of it getting wind damage, without my being terrified it would burst because the top stablizer ring and uprights weren't all set.

On Thursday the 26th my son and I went out and fixed the liner to actually have the plastic piece holding the liner on the whole way around. We disconnected it from the garden stakes as he and I put the stabilizer rail on, then we leveled the posts (side to side) and tightened down the post caps.

On Saturday the 28th, the pool was getting green, so I went out and added some chlorine and set up the cover pump to circulate the water for a few hours. I also skimmed it as best I could, and got up most of the tree bits at the bottom. It went back to clear/blue pretty quick.

Sunday the 29th, we secured the top rail, putting the pool top to round (which fixed the couple of spots where the top of the post seemed too slanted), and then started filling it for reals.

We also set up my way too big filter (24in Doheny sand filter) and had to make a few trips to the store to get screws that fit to hold the filter pump to the base (and dremel out the base holes a little because the screws that fit in the base wouldn't go through the metal bracket, so that was extra fun). Then we got the return put in, the high pressure hose from the pump to the filter on, and the hose from the return to the filter on. We just had the skimmer to install, but it was after dark, so we put the solar cover on and called it a night.

Today, Monday May 30th - I was able to get the skimmer mounted and the hose from it to the pump hooked up, but the hose is faulty and leaks under the cuff, and it didn't occur to me to move the backwash fitting to the skimmer so I could use the 1 1/4 hoses I got by accident for that. Good thing, because I went out just as the water reached the skimmer, and it has a leak... so I've posted about that and hope to fix it and put on a new hose tomorrow. *crosses fingers*

Before pictures in comment below...

Have one question below that I'm still curious the answer to... I strikethoughed the rest of the original post...

Anyone know anyone who can remove an AGP in greater Hartford, CT? A lot of companies use backhoes and heavy equipment and I am planning to install a new one in its place, so I'd rather the ground not get destroyed like that.

I reached out to a recycling place that does pool removals, but haven't heard back.

Any advice if we decide to do it ourselves?
Do we need to cut the walls into pieces or will the rusty old bits still be able to be rolled? We don't have a Sawzall or many fancy tools, so is there something we should buy or borrow to make our lives easier? Turns out that's a reciprocating saw and we have one...

Thanks!

** The new pool is sitting in boxes in my garage and I'm itching to get it set up and my swamp removed... (attached are swamp old pool, and new pool before we unwrapped it and checked all the bits... I still need a filter tho... eek) its a Saltwater 5000 from the pool factory. (Diff thread has info on filter/pump)

Attachments

• 20220427_121605.jpg
    20220427_121605.jpg
    577.6 KB · Views: 50
  • 20220427_121641.jpg
    20220427_121641.jpg
    535.4 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:
Hey Winter !!! Use a Sawzall with the thick (5X) metal blades. Milwaukee's line is sold as 'the axe' but they all have some variation of it. You can probably unbolt some of it but a good amount will be rusted solid.

The wall will be one piece and you may make as many rolls as you need to be able to move it. Maybe 2 or 3 rolls will be easier to carry. Or you can cut vertical strips with ease.

Just remember at any part to be cutting with the part of the blade next to the saw, not the tip or halfway. You want the saw nice and tight against the pool because the filmy pool parts are going to bounce around under the vibration. That's when you slip and lose a finger.

Reactions: Wntrequinx

• Love
We borrowed my brother-in-law's sawsall and I loved it so much I bought my own! My pool was completely down when we cut it into 3 foot sections. I would pull off the top rails and liner clips and then cut it up. My son operated the sawsall and I held up the sections to be cut. We both wore cheap leather palm work gloves and they protected our hands just fine. Sort the pool pieces by metal or plastic into separate piles and contact someone in your area that buys scrap metal to see if they will come pick it up.

+1. Take a picture of the pile and post it to FB marketplace / CL / offerup and folks will be alot more apt to come get it knowing they aren't taking the pool down. I listed a pile of scrap and it took a week for somebody to want it and a couple days for them to be free to pick it up.

Thank you all for the information! We have a solid plan for the teardown now, and have plans to make sure we have extra Sawzall blades ahead of time so we don't have to stop in the middle of things.

The scrappers come by a lot around here, so I'm pretty confident about just needing to get it to the curb. Worst case the town does scrap metal pickup for free, too, if you call them.

I've also ordered some tubing to attach to our car jack stands to make a water level, so we should be good on the leveling front...

Now I just need to get a pool filter before Sunday when the pool is filled.... *eek*

Thank you all, again!

Reactions: Newdude
Because this forum loves pictures...

this past weekend I started unscrewing the top rail from the posts, but they don't come apart easily, so I was waiting until I'd finished draining it with the cover pump before I started anything drastic. Its pretty done now (there's at most an inch left in the center in a 4 foot diameter circle - the pump in the picture ended up right at the edge of it).

I would have started taking the rails off tonight but I had to mow the lawn before it got out of control.

The real demo starts on Friday, I'll try to get my sister to take some good photos to post :)

If I'm lucky we can start filling it Saturday when it's gunna be 95...

Edit: added another photo - here's hoping it dries out today and the 0.5 inches of rain expected tomorrow also dry up in the morning so I can pull out the liner easily on Friday.

I am debating trying to pull out the liner tonight, but not sure if a little rain on the base would be an issue...

Attachments

• 20220517_204309.jpg
    20220517_204309.jpg
    664.7 KB · Views: 18
  • 20220518_100624.jpg
    20220518_100624.jpg
    463.1 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
Question? Does anyone know what this metal wire is (it's very stiff, I can't bend it even a little with my hand - not insulated, maybe a landscaping something?) Was going to dig it out but it's very close to the electrical, and was right near where the filter intake and return were....

Should we remove it or leave it? @Newdude Any ideas or anyone who might know more?

Attachments

• 20220520_124630.jpg
    20220520_124630.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 20
  • 20220520_124542.jpg
    20220520_124542.jpg
    923.8 KB · Views: 20
  • 20220520_124526.jpg
    20220520_124526.jpg
    579.2 KB · Views: 20

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Should we remove it or leave it? @Newdude Any ideas or anyone who might know more?

It is part of your bonding grid.

It may be for equipotential bonding of the pool perimeter.

full

Update! We have it partially built... here are the in progress pictures so far. I'm a little worried about the top rail going on because the support plates seem to angle away from the pool for a lot of them, but I'm not sure if that's because the walls are leaning in still from the liner pulling on them...

Attachments

• 20220526_194928.jpg
    20220526_194928.jpg
    626.3 KB · Views: 27
  • 20220526_194955.jpg
    20220526_194955.jpg
    574.4 KB · Views: 23
  • 20220526_195020.jpg
    20220526_195020.jpg
    523.6 KB · Views: 23
  • 20220526_195126.jpg
    20220526_195126.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 24
  • 20220526_195345.jpg
    20220526_195345.jpg
    149.4 KB · Views: 23
  • 20220526_195201.jpg
    20220526_195201.jpg
    481.4 KB · Views: 27
  • 20220526_195509.jpg
    20220526_195509.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 27
Update! We have it partially built... here are the in progress pictures so far. I'm a little worried about the top rail going on because the support plates seem to angle away from the pool for a lot of them, but I'm not sure if that's because the walls are leaning in still from the liner pulling on them...
Make sure the upright is not installed upside down, and check that all the uprights are the same length. Also check for level across the top of the pool.

They can't go in upside down, they lock into the clips in the cuffs at the base. I think the top of the wall is leaning in there... I was having trouble measuring the level without the top rails on... the walls are so wiggly i feel like im just guessing where they will be when the water fills it and rounds out the walls...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.