Hardness and pitting

Hi all, and thanks for reading my question. I had my pool resurfaced about 5 or 6 years ago and recently noticed the steps were feeling a little rough. I got concerned about pitting (I don't really know what it looks like, so it was the first thing I thought), although I suppose it could just be wear and tear from the very harsh Gulf environment. I'm in the FL panhandle about 1/3 mile from the Gulf.

I got two different kinds of tests for hardness - the rest of my pool chemistry is fine. The two tests yielded wildly different results and am just wondering what other folks do when this happens.

Taylor Ca Hardess Test (the drop kind with 3 vials) = 650ppm
JNW pool & spa strips (which tests "total hardness") = 120ppm

First off, is total hardness different than Calcium hardness? If they're the same, and the results are measuring the same thing, then regardless of which one is more accurate the hardness is way off - but in which direction?

My current plan is to get the rest of the chemistry just PERFECT, wait a few days and then test again. But, any other thoughtswould be appreciated.

Hi all, and thanks for reading my question. I had my pool resurfaced about 5 or 6 years ago and recently noticed the steps were feeling a little rough. I got concerned about pitting (I don't really know what it looks like, so it was the first thing I thought), although I suppose it could just be wear and tear from the very harsh Gulf environment. I'm in the FL panhandle about 1/3 mile from the Gulf.

I got two different kinds of tests for hardness - the rest of my pool chemistry is fine. The two tests yielded wildly different results and am just wondering what other folks do when this happens.

Taylor Ca Hardess Test (the drop kind with 3 vials) = 650ppm
JNW pool & spa strips (which tests "total hardness") = 120ppm

First off, is total hardness different than Calcium hardness? If they're the same, and the results are measuring the same thing, then regardless of which one is more accurate the hardness is way off - but in which direction?

My current plan is to get the rest of the chemistry just PERFECT, wait a few days and then test again. But, any other thoughtswould be appreciated.
Any kind of strip is pretty worthless for testing.

Test strips should be tossed in the garbage.

What test kits do you have?

Download PoolMath

Turn on CSI tracking.

It is your CSI value, of which your CH is only one component, that determines if your plaster is in etching territory (below =0.6) or scaling territory (above +0.6).

I suggest you review...

Get one of our recommended test kits - Taylor K-2006C or TFT Test Kits and then post your test results here and we can discuss it more.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.